add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New built Intel VS Amd

BobLeFou
  • 36 months ago

Good day

I want to build a new computer for gaming mostly. (1080p for now, maybe 1440p freesync in near future)

Intel 7600k vs Ryzen 1600x

Is the Ryzen more future proof (6 core vs 4 core)

I will reuse my box and power supply, Antec P182 with a 650w power supply and will add a usb 3.1 usb-c front panel (5,25'') since the front usb are only 2.0. I will change a noisy fan, but everything else is top shape.

I'm looking for a good integrated sound card since I'm using a custom 5.1 sound system.

Intel
CPU Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor $309.75
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler $99.50
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming K7 ATX $266.49
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 $149.99
Crucial MX300 1.1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $356.98
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $108.75
Asus Radeon RX 480 8GB Dual OC Video Card $315.75 Total $1607,21 (CAD)

AMD CPU Ryzen 5 1600x ~$325
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 140.2 CFM CPU Cooler $99.50
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 ATX AM4 $288.99
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 $149.99
Crucial MX300 1.1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $356.98
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $108.75
Asus Radeon RX 480 8GB Dual OC Video Card $315.75 Total $1644,96 (CAD)

Is the motherboard overkill or overpriced?

The ssd is for the $/gig only, I don't want the fastest ssd available, I only want a good performance with enough space (only 240gig in my old rig)

My old ride was a future proof i7-920 built in septembre 2009 with 6gig of ram and 2 radeon hd5850 crossfire (never really worked and give me a lots of problem, never again). Only modification was a ssd. Still rock solid

Price is almost the same, I can wait a few weeks, even months, I'm on a working site away from home so no time to play for now.

I want to go freesync since the G-sync cost much more.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry for my bad english.

Comments

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

AMD Vega is being released soon so you might want to hold off a bit.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I would personally go for the Ryzen build. Not only will you get 2 extra cores, but also 4 extra threads. Games nowadays are starting to utilize more cores, so it will be more future-proof than the i5.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd say that you could definitely go a bit cheaper on the motherboards, first off. Now, as for which is the better option, if you take a look at the Steam Hardware Survey, you'll see that the vast majority of gamers are still on dual- and quad-core CPUs. This means that games will be developed to run well on CPUs with these core counts. Furthermore, new low-level API's like DX12 and Vulkan in their current implementation offload most of the work on to the GPU, meaning even relatively weak CPUs can run these games well. However, at the same time, some developers have been optimizing games for higher core-count CPUs. Even going from 4c/4t -> 4c/8t at same clock speed sees improvements in many games these days, and that will only happen more frequently as time goes on.

Now to your question. Firstly, if you're getting Ryzen, don't bother with the 1600X. Instead, get the 1600 and overclock, and it'll reach roughly the same performance. This has already been demonstrated with Ryzen 7, with the 1700 matching the performance of the 1800X and 1700X when overclocked. The 1600 also has a pretty decent stock cooler that can probably get you to 3.7GHz on its own. Of course, that's up to the so-called "silicon lottery".

So the 1600 has decent single-core performance, but really good multi-core performance, and will outperform the 7600K in those games that make use of the extra cores and threads. It also is potentially cheaper, and has a better upgrade path. The 7600K has higher IPC and clock speeds, and will outperform the 1600 in those games that prefer single-core performance.

Overall, I'd choose the Ryzen 5 1600. It's more well-rounded than the i5, and has a better upgrade path.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

After looking at the first review, we can see that the 1600x is on par with th 7600k in gaming and 48% better in software.

This is closing the case of the CPU.

Do you have suggestion for a good motherboard with good integrated sound?

For the graphic card, I will wait until Vega is released, amd is most of the time better on the performance/price.

Thanks

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube