add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2 DOLLAR PSU!!! What do ya thinK????

dinof22

32 months ago

So I bought 2 PSUs for 2 bucks each at a school surplus sale. They are both antec TRUEPOWER 550W non-modular PSUs. there were just boxes of these things. they looked nice and they weren't dusty... I just thought i might use them for a scrapyard build and I got 2 just in case one was dead.

they seem to be discontinued, but heres a link to them on newegg they look just like the pictures: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371020&cm_re=truepower_550-_-17-371-020-_-Product

newegg says its 80 plus bronze, although i cant seem to find any indication of that on the actual power supply (mine or the pictures on newegg) and it looks like these went for around $90???

I asked a guy rummaging around the boxes if they even worked and if he knew where they came from. He said that they were just pulled from computers that the university got rid of, and that most of them should work.

so what do you guys think?? should I put these things anywhere near a computer? and also is there a way I can test them to see if they work correctly??

Comments

• 32 months ago
  • 2 points

Antec has a good reputation, they just don't get much love because they don't really refresh their lines much or pander to gaming etc.

to weed out the bad ones you can usually use the paperclip test, but this only confirms basic functionality (that it turns on) and doesn't garentee stability. (you'll want to do a stress test to make sure everything is stable anyway)

amazing deal for $2, I would have gotten 15 (the price of a low end psu :P) and just saved them to use when needed

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

garentee

Cannot find it in the dictionary...

JUST KIDDING...:)

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the info on the paperclip test!! I did it for both of them and they seem to power up! Guess I will have to try them on some hardware next. wish me luck!

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Even if they didn't work... 2 bucks each.. For scrapyard builds, great if they work.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3985/three-550w-psus-for-different-prices/12

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

The OEM is likely Seasonic, which generally has a good reputation.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube