add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

To Buy an SSD or Not?!

Sherlod

73 months ago

I am trying to decide whether or not to spend the extra £70 to buy an SSD. Is it really worth it? Are the boot times noticeable? If you guys can convince me, I would be happy to go an buy one. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 3 points

i would only buy it if you have the extra money, but if it means the difference between one gpu or a lesser one then leave the ssd out. the ssd wont affect your gaming performance at all so its not really needed.

• 73 months ago
  • 2 points

I second this. A SSD can always be added later also. Get the best processor/video card first. Or get a small one just for the OS as JasonUK suggested. Don't get a cheap GPU and a SSD. A better GPU would be more beneficial.

• 73 months ago
  • 3 points

I've seen 'SSD's won't help gaming at all'

Although true it won't up FPS numbers, it will shorten load times significantly.

I would say yes, it is definitely noticeable having an SSD over an HDD. Well worth the money if you have it.

• 73 months ago
  • 2 points

An SSD is a great addition to any PC. It'll speed up your boot times to the extent where you're waiting for your monitor to load, rather than the PC. If you're spending an average budget on a PC (£500-600 perhaps), then an extra £40 isn't going to break the bank. You can get something like this for £40, and it'll comfortably hold the OS along with a few applications.

As Zac mentioned, it won't help with gaming performance (if that's what your PC is for). But it will help with boot times (generally around 10 seconds) and application load times as well. Not to mention they're much more reliable than mechanical HDDs.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it possible to load just Windows 7 on the SSD? what is the minimum SSD required?

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, all SSDs are big enough to store Windows 7, Go to this Page to find out the system requirements.

• Windows 7 32bit size: 16GB (Any drive bigger than this will work fine)
  • Windows 7 64bit size: 20GB
  • It would be fine to use a 32Gb ssd but I would not recommend it.
  • 73 months ago
  • 1 point

why would you not recommend it

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Because it is easy as 1 2 3 to fill up a 32GB (12GB after windows 7 is installed) Drive, At the minimum I would get a 120GB drive, or more. But answering your question- Yes It would work fine with 32Gb SSD but it would fill up REALLY quick.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I am thinking about getting a 32 GB ssd just for the boot and a 128 one for storage

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

2 SSDs Or do you mean 1 SSD & 1 HD???

That would work except I would STILL recommend getting a bigger SSD (64GB maybe?)

But remember some things (like the desktop, hidden files windows makes of programs ect) you can't change to the other drive.

Just wondering: What will you be doing on this computer? Gaming? Web browsing? Picture storage? Average Desktop PC Stuff?

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

An SSD speeds up boot times by x10 or more! The only thing is trying to decide how much space you need. How many applications are you going to use? Are you going to have many games or pictures? For the price your looking at they only store about 120GB, so think about that. I would always recommend getting a second cheap Hard drive for storing all your data files; if your going to have your SSD as your main drive.

This SSD works as well as the one your probably looking at, except cheaper and about 40£ (And it is the one I have!)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube