add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What would happen if Microsoft open-sourced the Win32 API.

AwesomeBuilderXE1901

33 months ago

The Win32 API is what gives Windows the ability to run exe files. It is also, due to its proprietary nature, what keeps Windows in its dominant position. Let's say, somehow Microsoft decided "Today, we're going to relicense Windows as free!" . What do you think would happen?

Comments

• 32 months ago
  • 2 points

Wine would get a whole lot better, lol

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Let's be realistic here, this is the same Microsoft that's shoving Windows 10 down our throats.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows 10 isn't even that bad, though...

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

The thing many people don't like about Windows 10 is all the telemetry and such incorporated into it

[comment deleted]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

I disagree, windows 10 is great.

[comment deleted]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

If you ignore the expensive price

I mean if we're going to be honest here... who really pays for windows 10 :P jokes aside I think $100 is definitely worth it for the best game compatibility out there. Linux suffers from this heavily. I didn't pay for my 2 copies of windows 10, I used a windows 7 key for the first one and upgraded to windows 10, and for the second one... shh. Even with the free upgrade deal finished, there are still ways of upgrading for free.

the seemingly arbitrary installation issues

I had absolutely no installation problems with both copies of windows. As long as you take your time, do everything by the book, you'll be perfectly fine. I know heaps of people who have problems simply because they rush the installation, tick boxes that they shouldn't have ticket, incorrectly formatted things, etc.

the six billion cryptic and often useless error codes

Uhh.. I honestly have no idea what this is. Both computers of mine run windows 10 and don't really have errors... ever. I think my last blue-screen was when I did it purposefully by ending some task in task manager.

the seriously shady business practices Microsoft does on a regular basis

Explain please

the various little issues and problems that pop up regularly

Like what? I don't have any problems. Windows runs flawlessly on both my computers. One has an FX 6300 and an R9 380 with 8GB of RAM. The other is a laptop with an i5 4202Y and 4GB of RAM. I barely ever get issues with both.

the irritating debug difficulty

Never encountered this problem

the oftentimes fatal boot problems

Also never encountered this problem

the update cycling issue

Never encountered this problem either

the dead useless troubleshooter

I used the network troubleshooter once and it fixed the problem. That's really the only time I've ever had to use it

the shady automatic updates to Windows 10 from 7/8

?

the constant data collection across all Windows apps

Don't see how this is a problem

the sometimes functionality-breaking updates

Also never had this problem.. I could keep going, but the only real problem I see in windows 10 is a couple really basic, annoying bugs that they don't really notice. Hiding the taskbar can sometimes lead to an annoying bug where when you drag your mouse down to it the taskbar doesn't pop up and you have to press the windows button. Restarting explorer makes the trackpad two finger scroll stop working. That's literally it for me.

Also, I never downvoted your comment? That was someone else.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Meh, no. Microsoft is pretty bad, but somehow W10 wasn't shoved down my throat. And honestly, the idea of unifying Windows into one trunk allows Microsoft devs to work faster on updates for only 10 and not have to concentrate on like 5+ consumer versions, update those AND windows 10. I agree that MS should have at least asked for explicit permission, but there is a lot of sense in why MS did that, it's just that they went about that the wrong way by "forcing" upgrades. Let's hope MS learns from this.

The main issue - I just don't like the idea of MS being Big Brother and taking all my data for God knows what. That's why I use Linux, I don't really need any Win32 apps so I use Ubuntu.

looks up

It's been 1/2 hours????

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Ads everywhere, linux not needing Wine, more overpriced prebuilts

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Why would the prebuilts be more overpriced?

[comment deleted]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FOREVER

:P

I had to do that. Don't h8, just rel8.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

more overpriced prebuilts

starts typing up PCMR-based retort

yes....

[comment deleted]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Say you'll remember Microsoft, standing in a nice dress.. blah blah wildest dreams

:P sorry

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

A few years ago you could have said the same for Visual Studio, or for .NET. But look where we are now, both free and .NET is open source (I don't think Visual Studio is open source but their new lightweight editor, VSCode, is).

Have you seen their github? They have more repos than Google, Apple, Facebook, and Amazon combined.

[comment deleted]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Their reputation is well-earned, I don't fault you at all. I am excited by the way they're headed since Nadella took the reins though.

[comment deleted]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Say, you seem like a diehard MS not-liker. What OS do you use? I get the feeling you probably don't like Apple either.

[comment deleted]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

That's an interesting observation and one to consider! But since the Win32 is so common, I bet some standards organization will quickly standardize Windows.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, Microsoft would standardize Windows. The standard would continue on as is under their stewardship, you would just get people creating offshoots. But so long as the offshoots didn't get too crazy they would maintain compatibility.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube