add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New WD drives, black squared.

kirk.tompkinson

74 months ago

Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to use these drives yet and if you have any advice concerning them. I am considering it as a laptop upgrade, but i'm not even sure if it's going to be compatible. Just trying to get some general info and advice right now.

If this is the first you have heard of it, you can take a look at this review I found: http://www.legitreviews.com/wd-black%C2%B2-dual-drive-ssd-hdd-hybrid-review_130873

Comments

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Right now I'm thinking the models provided by SeaGate might be superior price/performance. These WD ones are almost certainly faster, but their pricing is painful.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

They are two totally different monsters. Seagate makes a "hybrid SSHD" whereas the WD Black2 is a "dual drive" (contains both a 120GB SSD AND a 1TB HDD). The WD product is much better suited for laptops.

• 74 months ago
  • 0 points

No, AFAIK they aren't really all that different. Seagate has a widdle baby SSD inside its SSHDs - 8gb or something like that of NAND - and WD Black2 has an all-growed-up 120Gb NAND storage area in it. Obviously the WD drive is going to feature performance far in excess of the Seagate drive, but at what cost? Most people are used to spending under $100 for their HDDs, even if they are in 2.5" formats.

Does WD Black2 show up in your computer as 2 separate drives? Does it not use adaptive storage techniques to present a single drive, but with all the most-used stuff "secretly" stored on the NAND portion of the drive? Those would be the kinds of differences that would make it a "totally different monster" instead of the "growed-up" version of the same monster, as it were.

• 74 months ago
  • 2 points

Wrong.

The Seagate hybrid just has a big (8GB) cache that it dynamically stores data on depending on usage. It is one single drive, though.

The WD Black2 is in fact 2 completely separate drives in one casing (120GB SSD + 1TB 5400RPM HDD). It does not use "adaptive storage techniques" at all.

Hence the difference in names "Hybrid SSHD" vs "Dual Drive"...

Don't tell me I'm wrong... lol. Do your research.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

I stand corrected. This should provide the best performance/price for a single-slot laptop available then, unless there's some problem I don't know about concerning data transfers to both disks at once over the same connection (shouldn't be if it's SATA 6, which I'm guessing it is).

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Internal transfer rate (read, max): 350 MB/s
  • Internal transfer rate (write, max): 140MB/s

These numbers don't look great for an SSD. Just save you money and buy a big SSD.

Something like this. Anyway I think the WD is 300$ also but with this you get 500GB of pure speed.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz7te500bw

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube