add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
drdistinguished
  • 38 months ago

I put this list together with a Black/Grey/Red theme in mind and trying to keep as close to the $700 mark as I can. I'm pretty settled on most of my part choices but I just want a little reassurance. I'm dead set on my case choice because it just fits the theme perfectly. I know I'm splurging on my Mobo but, again, it fits the theme perfectly and it should be sticking around with my future upgrades for the forseeable future. I'll be using this PC for light multitasking as well as casual gaming. I'm looking to be playing games like CS, Overwatch, and Rocket League at 60+ FPS in 1080p. I am mainly curious whether I should stick with the Pentium G4560 + RX 480 4G or if I should switch to an i3-7100 + RX 470 4G. Any help is much appreciated.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor $64.79 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z270 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $139.99 @ Amazon
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $57.99 @ Amazon
Storage PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $79.99 @ B&H
Video Card MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB GAMING X Video Card $199.99 @ Amazon
Case Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $84.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $707.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-08 18:17 EST-0500

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

From what I've read, the G4560 pairs nicely with the RX480. As a general rule of thumb, when choosing where to put a slight performance gain, I tend to put it with the GPU... so if it was my money, I'd go with your current config.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a good build right there, for $700. The RX 480 will absolutely run the games you mentioned at the quality you want. There are only two things I would change: get a bigger storage drive (get an HDD instead of an SSD), and get a different processor and mobo. When you get the chance, get an SSD and move your OS and whetever else you feel like over to it. Here is what I would use as an alternative to the CPU and mobo: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/2cVBD3/intel-pentium-g4620-37ghz-dual-core-processor-bx80677g4620 http://pcpartpicker.com/product/Kjs8TW/asus-prime-b250-plus-atx-lga1151-motherboard-prime-b250-plus

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

well, he said it in the main post... it's for looks... it matches his theme... and he thinks a CPU upgrade is in his future anyway. I've done the same thing before. Back in the LGA775 days... went with a "get me through two years" Core2Duo Conroe... then after a year or so, upgraded to a Q9550. Roughly eight years later that same mobo + Q9550 is still doing a respectable job powering my son's gaming rig... so if he has a plan... he has a plan. :)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

CNN reviews?

you lost me there... ?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube