add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Firefox vs. Opera browser opinions

TrotTiger

34 months ago

Hey guys I have both of these browsers and lately the Opera browser seems much faster. They are both the latest versions running on a XP machine. old XP could have a bearing on this.

Also a problem is AVG free seems to thrash my HDD sometimes when using firefox but never bothers me in Opera. :/

note: i do not like Microsoft or Google...

Comments

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I would try opera because I never used it really and am sick of Firefox. I use Chrome and love it.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I used to use opera on an old p4 xp machine, but I haven't used it much ever since they switched to chromium for the rendering engine, now it is just chrome with a different feature set (and honestly, I like chrome's features better than opera's).

nowadays I use firefox for the most part because I can leave a bunch of tabs open with no performance impact on the rest of the machine (I tend to have a lot of tabs, like 4-6 windows full of tabs, chrome's sandboxing really takes a toll with that many tabs) and I keep chrome around in case I need proper flash support (because Linux hasn't had a proper flash update in 4 years, but chrome has its own version of flash) and as I start doing more away from web browsers I have shifted focus from features to efficiency.

Note:because opera and chrome use the same rendering engine performance and such should be near identical between them. Basically, chrome sandboxes everything you do which is great for security, but makes it a resource hog. If your computer can handle it it has great performance though.

My suggestion is to use a different antivirus if avg is causing trouble :P

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

what would you recommend as a free anti-virus?

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Avira probably one of the best free anti-virus

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Bitdefender is also i good one, doesn't hog resources, high detection rates, etc.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

freebie Malwarebytes too and Windows Defender..

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Ever consider Vivaldi?

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Or Maxthon?

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, news to me. I havnt used that browser since maybe 2010.i just new it was still around

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah. Maxthon used to be pretty good, but nowadays I'm kinda iffy on it because of stuff like that.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

In the xp days, opera was way ahead in most areas, but that was long ago. Not sure how it compares now as I went chrome on Windows 7 and stuck with it

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Opera got sold out to some company in China and now I'm not 100% sure whether to trust it anymore. Vivaldi has picked up what Opera left behind, but it's a very heavily featured browser like old versions of Opera, and is not great for older computers. If you want a good browser for a low speed computer, then Midori is passable, as is QupZilla.

And honestly? If you can, you should switch that computer from Windows XP to something else. It's potentially hazardous to even put it online, because it hasn't gotten security updates for years now. Upgrade to Windows 10, or if that's too expensive, switch it to a lightweight Linux distribution like antiX or Bunsen Labs.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube