add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gnu+Linux CVE-2016-10156 vulnerability looks terrible.

Rofineli
  • 38 months ago

I've always looked at vulnerabilities in GNU+Linux systems with the hope that we could do better in the future, but I've lost a lot of faith in GNU+Linux's management with this one. We appear to be going down hill way to fast from a security perspective.

Like seriously, how can you just mess up file permissions like that. They're obliviously not reviewing their code.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 3 points

You should probably cite a source for those of us not keeping up to date with every Linux update XD

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

You know, this is why I say that Linux isn't as secure as the fans make it out to be. And I've used it as my primary OS for almost 8 years now.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You know a lot of Linux users would denounce you for admitting such a thing.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I am fully aware of this. Unlike some of them, I acknowledge that the OS isn't perfection incarnate. ;)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You know, this is why I say that Linux isn't as secure as the fans make it out to be. And I've used it as my primary OS for almost 8 years now.

I always thought its security was stellar when it was being coded almost exclusively for server usage. I don't trust all this newfangled desktop code. And I'm using it on a desktop.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You are most definitely correct.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

this is why we shouldn't use systemd

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

For what it's worth, I think systemd isn't as bad as many people make it out to be. If you're not tinkering around with init stuff, it doesn't really matter.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't worry; this will be fixed after Poettering redesigns umask(2) to properly integrate with systemd. :-/

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

That is with systemd, not Linux. systemd is an init system, not the kernel. Two different things entirely. systemd can be replaced, with OpenRC, nosh, runit, etc. if you so please. Distros such as Void Linux make use of such alternatives.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

This thing people call "Linux" has naming issues.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube