add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

In need of a great free anti virus software.

strigoi1489

34 months ago

any recommendations I have windows 10 home 64-bit

Comments

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I use Avira and have had no problems so far with it.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Same. The free version has occasional popups from your task bar but it's not too intrusive and you can close them immediately. I use this in conjunction with Malwarebytes.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

If they really annoy there are also tools out there to disable the popups.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

+1 for Avira. It's always been one of the top-performing regardless of free or not free.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Alrighty! I downloaded the free version. Have you tried the full payed version? If so is it worth the money?

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I have tried the full paid version. The detection rates seem to be among the top 3 or 4 of all antivirus programs every year, but the one weakness is that it has more false positives than some of the other top antiviruses, which if you're comfortable and somewhat conversant with that is mostly just a nuisance imo, but can get confusing especially if you have family members who are less tech savvy.

It's also one of the lightest on system resources.

For full paid version, I usually check which antivirus won the top spot in av-comparatives.org and av-test.org that year and use that for the year. IIRC it's been Bitdefender most recently, before that it's been Kaspersky, Avira, and NOD32 at times. But for free versions, Avira is the best I know of (most of the other top ones don't have free versions the last time I checked).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube