add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I uninstall windows 7?

asilaybuilding

72 months ago

okay so i am getting a solid state drive soon, however i already have a classic mechanical installed, which windows 7 is installed from and which my pc boots from

my question is can i simply unistall w/o having to format my whole 1tb drive? i do however have a 3tb external hard, so if i really have to format it, i can save all my stuff to the external. or is there a way i can keep a copy of my current drive and then simply load that (with windows and most of my stuff) onto my new ssd? (would i have to contact the manufacturer, western digital?) so i wont have to go through having to re-install all my drivers and programs and updates and yaddi yaddi yadda.

end result i want: the ssd becomes my new boot drive and has my os and all my most important programs; my current hdd becomes only used for storage and no longer my boot drive; the external should continue doing its thing for backup and mass storage of unused games, videos, music, etc

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Some SSDs come with cloning software that is relatively simple to use. For example, Samsung has a utility called the Data Migration Tool which will copy all existing data over to the SSD. From there it's just a case of using Disk Management or diskpart to format your HDD.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

awesome opossum! i'm getting a samsung 840 evo 120gb. so i'll just have move a few things over to my external to make sure everything fits

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube