add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Most advantageous setup for 1 tb SSD+ 2 tb HDD??

CrimRim

37 months ago

Tryna see what I can do with my 1tb Samsung Evo 850 and my 2tb WD Black HDD as a setup when I get to my bios.

-Im aware of SSD caching and I believe it goes along with intel's RST. I think it makes both the ssd and hdd work as one drive.
Not sure of the possiblities of any type of data lost so hmhm..

-Also Idk if I should do RAID instead like raid 0 or 1....

-Or should I just make it simple to boot OS in ssd w my games and main programs and just have the Hdd link into my downloads music and etc.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

The boot drive+ mass storage is the easiest and gives very good gains.

Ssd caching gives diminishing returns with larger drives and is usually used with drives smaller than 120gb (which is getting rare)

using striped raid would be interesting, but overall a lot of utilities won't like using drives of different sizes. Software raid is more flexible, but in windows you'd be limited to the built in utility afaik.

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Use 1TB SSD for OS, applications, AND home folder (downloads/ACTIVE-projects).

Use 2TB Black drive for long-term media/document storage or for active projects too large to fit on the space available on the SSD. Personally, I use SSD space for active projects and quieter running WD 5400RPM Blue drives for long term storage and backup. I used to run high performance mechanical drives. Got sick of listening to them.

Use another 2TB Drive for backup of the first 2TB drive, Or cloud storage, or both.

RAID is not a backup solution, it is a redundancy solution. RAID should only be done with like-drives. Configuring an SSD in RAID with a mechanical drive would just make everything way slower.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

mhmh maybe Ill just use my ssd for everything cuz I dont think it can be get slow/filled anytime soon. Then the HDD as backup/extra storage for those long term media projects.

Gotta just see how to make it so the HDD copies files from the SSD, then ill add some cloud storage to it.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Intel RST isn't going to merge both drives into one big partition. It supposedly makes them run faster, but I've never confirmed this. It's a driver; I just install it and forget about it.

Your third option seems best. I don't see how RAID 0 would improve performance. You'd create a partition on the HDD that's equal in size to the entire SSD. Then you mirror them (RAID 0). So... you're left with a partly fast partition that's hindered by HDD speeds. Seems counter-productive.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube