add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

SSD advantages?

mitchduafa

74 months ago

What are the advantages of using an SSD as your OS/programs drive? I was just perusing the board to find out what people are using SSD's for, as I am a total novice with building computers. I am hoping to build a computer for a recording studio in the next year, so storage is important, but as I read SSD's are not good for writing, and rewriting. I am currently thinking that a 2TB HDD would be a good place to start, at least, but would it be in my best interest to use an SSD for my OS?

I've never found a performance issue with recording into HDD's in the past, so I'm not too worried about using one here.

Anyway, any advice is much appreciated! Thank you.

Comments

• 74 months ago
  • 2 points

If you need a lot of storage then i dont think you would want to get an ssd because they are so expensive and if you are going to rewrite it constantly that would also be another reason to get a hard drive instead

• 74 months ago
  • 2 points

Any applications you put on an SSD will load up a lot faster (this includes your OS)! I definitely think it is worth it to purchase an SSD in addition to a regular large HDD to store your media.

• 74 months ago
  • 2 points

SSDs are significantly faster than mechanical hard drives - installing your operating system and primary applications to a solid state drive improves load times (power-button-to-desktop time shrinks to seconds) and overall responsiveness. In Battlefield 4, my 10k RPM hard drive takes between 1 and 3 minutes to load a map; my friend's Samsung 840 takes between 20 and 60 seconds.

However, where SSDs excel in speed they suffer in capacity and price/GB. For mass media and raw recordings, you'll absolutely want as much storage as you can get your hands on - but if you can spare the extra $100 or so, a ~128GB boot drive would be highly recommended.

Note: SSDs are fine for writing and rewriting - NAND flash has matured enough to the point where you'd have to write obscene amounts of data every day to wear it out to the point of obsolescence.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you guys! I think I learned what I needed to move forward.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

obviously SSD is faster.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube