add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will it bottleneck?

fourwindsjuby

37 months ago

Hey I was wandering if the i3 6100 will bottleneck the RX 480

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

There are very few games that dissagree with an i3, but the ones that do there is very little you can do about it. Because of this I would suggest getting an rx 470 and making some room in the budget for an i5 6500 or something similar. You can turn down the graphics, but you can rarely turn down the game logic.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

but you can rarely turn down the game logic.

Turning down the view distance may increase CPU performance. That is about the only setting though and isn't available in some games

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

That isn't how bottlenecking works. Any CPU can bottleneck any GPU under the right circumstances. Bottlenecking isn't a simple yes or no thing like it is made out to be. Bottlenecking all depends on the games and the graphical settings.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

no it shouldn't be a bottlenech

i would agree with vagabond i mean take a game such as Minecraft without shaders mods etc its pretty much CPU bound with any gpu over like a 1050 ti (i got dared with my gtx 1080 and 8320 config to test to see what I could get at a max fps with everything at the lowest and i was topping off around 2k fps where I have a friend with a 750 ti and i5 could get like 3k fps)

also dont worry I dont have a gtx 1080 just to play minecraft xD its just a example to say it depends on the game your playing such as gta 5 is very cpu bound with a 1080 and 8320 sometimes i dip below 40 fps at 1080p then there is other games such as rise of the tomb raider on dx12 or doom on vulcan where it isnt that big of a diff having a 8320 and 1080

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

gta 5 is very cpu bound with a 1080 and 8320 sometimes i dip below 40 fps at 1080p

Just to completely rule out any GPU bottlenecking, are you able to test this again, exept with the resolution down as low as it goes, but keep the graphic settings how they are. Decreasing resolution will increase GPU performance however not influence CPU performance.

If you are able to get the max, min and maybe Avg, and send it to me that would be appreciated very much. I am trying to create a table/database of how each CPU performs and different games.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks this is actually new to me

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I get what your saying however I just got a 1070 and I'm running a 6350 and it does bottleneck. In everything I do. I'm barely getting more performance than I was with my old 270x.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on game, but you should be OK

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

It really depends on which games. Some games are really CPU intensive and the i3 6100 may only be able to perform 40 FPS at max, no matter what GPU it is. Also every CPU will bottleneck each GPU to a certain extent. Sometimes the CPU will bottleneck at 400FPS. People don't see it as bottlenecking though because it is above their needs/desired FPS.

So what is your desired FPS?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thank you sorry about that I'm moving to PC from console so I'm not the best at this but I would say I would be happy with 40-60 fps

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool, you know which games you looking to play?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube