add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

6700k overclock worth it?

dwang040

38 months ago

I'm just wondering if overclocking a 6700k to, let's assume 4.6 or 4.7 is worth it. Because if not, I can save money with a h170 board and a cheaper cpu fan.

Usage: gaming, art stuff like krita, synfig, I'm not sure if I'll actually get into stuff like Maya 3d, auto desk, etc.

Yeah, x99 is an option, but it's quite pricey compared to skylake.

Thanks.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $328.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus Z170-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $102.98 @ Newegg
Other Led Computer Case Lights $11.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $478.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-27 18:42 EST-0500

Something like this doesn't hurt the bank as much as the typical oc rig and should get you to 4.4ghz

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

See, that's the thing, I'm not sure how I feel about the mobo. I mean, I've looked at certain mobos for overclocking, and I end up with a board like the gigabyte ud3, which is about 150. In the end, if those .4 ghz don't do much of a difference in render times, Im not sure if it's worth the extra few dollars.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the 6700k, the 4GHz is fine but I overclocked mine only a little bit to 4.6GHz which immediately gained me at least a few more fps on games whilst only increasing 1 or 2 degrees celsius which wouldn't harm anyone with my NZXT Kraken X61. I think it would be worth it to overclock it, it helps quite a lot.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, I'm not so concerned about 1-2 more fps. I guess I'm wondering how much faster rendering is.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E5Zq4kkWTs

There are many comparison videos available, this is just the first one I grabbed. Overclocking does provide tangible benefits. Only you can decide if the benefits are worth it. If something takes 36 seconds at stock, and you can finish in 30, is that worth it?

What if you change that to minutes, is it worth it now? Do you think you may render a scene complex enough to take many minutes to complete?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, that's what I'm not so sure about, how long a 2d animation would take. I mean, cad and 3d modeling and vfx, those can take a while, but a simpler 2d animation? Hmm. I might just overclock cause why not.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Overclocking may not help much at the moment but down the road it helps.... depending on how far you can safely push the CPU. Also, clocking the memory to 3000mhz has been shown to help a little in some games.

I have a 2600k in one PC. At stock speeds it shows it's age but overclocking it to 4.8ghz helps keep it viable.

The only thing to factor in is the stock turbo speed is 4.2ghz and many people can only get the the 6700k to 4.6ghz to 4.8ghz.

I heard the 7700k is supposed to be a better overclocker but that remains to be seen. We'll see here in a week or two, won't we?

Also, rumor on the street is the 7700k combined with a z270 board is supposed to have 24 PCI-E lanes.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, that's right, I am interested in Kaby Lake. We'll have to wait then. For now, I'm just gonna build a really cheap pc to get through while I learn how to draw with a tablet and draw in general. I'll probably start upgrading/ getting a new pc after the upcoming summer.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Think of it this way: that video showed a 6-second difference in rendering. Assuming their tested content is similar to yours, multiply the 6-second difference by however many times you'll be playing with your content. Over a year or two of time saved, is the extra cost for overclocking worth it?

If the tested content is much smaller than yours, then the marginal benefit increases.

Also, there's the unknown time saved from doing other tasks.

• 38 months ago
  • -1 points

i'd suggest a B150 board if overclocking a 6700k isn't worth it. Why the B150 board? More PCIE lanes available.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Id rather stick with h170 for sli compatability. Maybe some b150 boards allow it, but h170 does come with more features.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I am pretty certain that the H170 chipset does not support SLI.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, thanks for confirming that!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The H170 chipset has more PCIe lanes than the B150.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

But if render time differences are not very different, I'd rather save the few bucks.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, alright. What do you think about the gigabyte ud3?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Well it's a 15% increase in clock frequency but that does not necessarily translate to a 15% increase in "performance" in all workloads.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube