add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Computers and humidity/condensation

Jacob_
  • 39 months ago

I took a shower with the door open and some condensation got on a mirror. My PC is in the same room with no power connected to it yet. I checked the outside, which had no visible signs of condensation so I rubbed my finger on the case and it didn't feel moist. I felt the IO shield and it surprisingly felt like it had a very very small layer of condensation which worries me. I opened the case up and felt the mobo, cpu fan, gpu and nothing felt wet or moist except these metal "bars" on the side of the GPU. I'm not really sure what they are for maybe for a radiator or something idk. When I rubbed my finger on it it might have had a small amount of moisture on it and I mean very little like it might have just been the temperature difference between me and the metal. I didn't turn it on and moved it to my hallway out of my room. Did I damage it or decrease the longevity of my computer's parts? Thanks

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

You good, the metal "bars" are called heat pipes and are just part of the cooler (it's no suprise that they were the most effected by the moisture)

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you sure it wouldn't hurt it or damage it's lifetime? Is there any way to make sure it doesn't happen again? Would turning on the ventilation fan make much of a difference?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

It would take a good bit of water to actually do anything. The moisture forms in places that are cool and thermally conductive, so the first place it condences is the cpu and gpu coolers, then random exposed metal bits, then everywhere else. To actually cause damage you'd have to have enough condensation to get water to form on the metal bits and collect enough to drip to other metal bits. other than that any exposed materials aren't particularly reactive and won't be effected by such a short exposure.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks for your help. Would a dehumidifier be worth it?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think a dehumidifier would be fast enough to deal with a hot showet

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

You should be okay, but If you have a window in your bathroom or bedroom, you can open it up slightly so the humid air can escape, thus not resting on your PC.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube