add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Broken Leg Help

ThatKidCanPlay

38 months ago

SOOOOO.....

I broke my tibia back in October on a skateboarding incident (i was getting the mail on my penny board and hit an uneven part of my driveway going pretty fast...) and I just recently was allowed to put weight on it. But im really nervous and scarred to put toooo much weight on it and I know if I dont start trying, I'll never get used to it and I just don't know what to do anymore to be honest.

I also COMPLETELY forgot how to walk without crutches so if I don't have crutches, my new habit is to hop around, so I still use crutches even though I'm allowed to put weight on it... :P

Has anyone else had this problem with a broke bone or something?

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol I've broken 7 bones. Each time I always "forget" (lack of better word) how to use that particular part of my body lol. Just give it a few days to get used to it not being behind a cast or whatever and you'll get your motion and what not back. Muscles not really being worked for the amount of time it takes for a bone to heal won't be as strong as when you first went into the cast lol Start out slow and you'll be golden.

It's been about 6 months since I've broken anything. Feels good :-)

inb4 I jinx myself.
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm still in a cast, but the doctors said I could put as much weight on it as I feel comfortable with. Thanks for the advice though :)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Well for future then lol

Honestly walking with a cast just takes getting used to. That's probably the part you could worry about the least lol

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I didn't break it but I managed to fall about 4 feet right on to my knee on pavement when I was about 9 so I weighed about 150 pounds less and I only managed to bruise the bone and I could run on it without pain in a couple of days. No idea how I didn't really hurt my knee.

I'm surprised I haven't broken a bone with some of the stupid stuff I have done when I was younger.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

what did you fall off of?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

A railing that was a few feet. 9 year old me loved to climb and managed to get his foot caught in it trying to jump down.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I broke my collar bone when I was just two by falling from the top of the stairs. At this stage of my life it is all mostly healed and I can have a decent amount of weight on my shoulders; not exactly quite the same thing but - you should recoup and not let it stop you.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

that sounds awful! I'm glad its almost completely healed though or else that would have been awful to deal with your entire life. Thank you for your help though, I appreciate it :)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The worst accident I've ever had was when I was in 1st grade... And it was pretty damn awful. I was riding a razor scooter on some really rough and bumpy tarmac, and being a scooter and all, it couldn't take the bumps whatsoever. It threw me off and sent me flying forwards, and me being me, I braced my face with both of my arms.

8 fractures, 4 in each arm in similar places. What's worse is that it took our family a while to get proper, hard casts onto my arms. Which meant they had to break my arms again in order to align the bones all properly. Worst pain I've ever felt. However now both of my arms work completely fine, so no issues :P

Also for your situation you're fine. The times they give are rather lenient on what you actually need, and can take much more stress than you might think beforehand. My sister for example had her leg broken a few weeks, and while she was having to take physical therapy, she still went out and played.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah it took them a week and a half just to decide weather to put me in a hard cast so I was in a splint for while and it was super heavy to carry around all day on my leg and I was always exhausted, but the hard cast was so much better. Thanks for the help :)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I literally did the exact same thing when I was a kid. Got a brand new razor scooter on Christmas Day, and was going down a driveway and hit a tiny hole and went flying forward lol. Broke a couple bones in my arm that day.

Definitely a memorable Christmas :-)

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup, wouldn't have made sense to knock me out for something that only took 5 minutes or so

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I broke my ankle once. Had to look into the eyes of that girl while going down the stairs which left me look silly falling and also breaking bones. :)

Anyway, point is, that I wasn't allowed to move around much, but when they gave me clearance to put weight on it, I did as I was instructed and if healed all right (well, sometimes I still feel it if I twist my ankle badly during wall climbing).

I believe you have to listen to our physicists and doctors as they have experiences in broken bones and what they need to heal properly. So get out there and start using your leg. Do not be afraid to stress it a bit. Better have some difficulties now than let it heal incorrectly.

(I also had other bones broken, but since it's the leg, we're talking about, I don't see the point talking about those.)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

hahaha! Thanks for the advice dude :)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Never broken a bone sorry no can help

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

lucky...

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

So I longboard in races and also do competitive cycling, I have gotten in multiple crashes but only once broke my arm in a bike accident, after I crashed I had to bike back to my house with a broken arm and a bloody leg. Start a go fund me campaign and get dope wheel chair like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKdeqeP7VU0

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

i guess that breaking a bone is a medical issue so go fund me can't take that down XD thanks for the advice though I appreciate it! :)

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

tbh I would have told someone to go get it for me and bring it to the hospital xD

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You breakdance?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice, yeah breakdancing is one of my main hobbies, I like to do it with my friends. Finally getting windmills and headspins.

You should try it out again, in my opinion it's quite fun to do, especially since you can kind of practice anywhere, sometimes I just top rock around listening to music when I'm walking through my house or waiting for something.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

send videos plz lol

https://youtu.be/3ukVOkRAiGA

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

lucky my fracture wasn't TOO serious (not that it's not serious) so I didn't need to have surgery and stuff like that. Glad you got better though! Thanks for the advice! :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube