add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

cpu for 1440p gaming

omega4101
  • 43 months ago

can't decide if wether to get an i5 4690k or invest and future proof and get a i7 4790k for 1440p gaming with a gtx 1070 since im heading off to college soon.......I need help

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 4 points

The resolution doesn't effect the CPU, there is no such thing as future proof, and no reason to get a CPU that is two and going on 3 gens old.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm upgrading from an i3 and gTX 760 and I don't want to run into complications with a new motherboard board

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Consider dropping a Xeon in there: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/psR48d/intel-cpu-bx80646e31231v3

i7 without the iGPU.

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, raising the resolution shifts it to gpu load, so there ;) indirectly

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

The CPU would still give you the same performance no matter what resolution unlike the GPU.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

yea but now the gpu is doing the work and the cpu isn't holding you back as much :)

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Only when the GPU becomes the primary bottleneck.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Agree

• 42 months ago
  • -3 points

In some extreme cases I think it does now that these GPU's are murdering 1080p gameplay. See my comment below

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

No. The resolution impacts the GPU.

• 42 months ago
  • 0 points

Yes, read my comment below, I have first hand experience seeing this.

• 42 months ago
  • 3 points

As others have said, and seem to be debating about, the compute workload for a given frame-rate goal is going to be largely the same regardless of whether you're running 720P or 4K or anything in-between.

It doesn't make sense to choose a CPU for a resolution goal, rather, choose it for a performance goal (FPS) in the games and conditions you intend to play.

If you already have a socket 1150 build and want to beef it up, I'd say either go with the i7-4790K or E3-1231 V3.

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

vagabond is correct.

I'll probably catch crap for this statement but if you are just gaming i would go with either the i3 6100 or the i5 6600k

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

Why? If you have the budget, an i7 is worth it for multi threaded games like BF1, Arma3, and Titanfall 2.

• 42 months ago
  • -2 points

Agree. An i3 6100 with a gtx1070 would be a waist too.

If for some reason your stuck on z97 then ideally get the 4790k if in budget so you dont ever want to upgrade for the next few years, heck my 2700k still does great but went 6700k just for fun.

My buddy gets weird gameplay with his 4690k at 4.6ghz with a 1070 on 1080p. Like stutters on some games with higher CPU use (GTA V he specifically said he notices a bottleneck). 1440p should lower the CPU demand a little.

I can tell you resolution matters in some extreme cases. I have a gtx1080 on 1080p/120hz with a 6700k at 4.6ghz and on at least one Deathmatch map I get CPU use in the 90-95% range. Sure fps are over 150fps but there are cases where the CPU matters.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

The CPU effects the FPS, not the resolution.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

The resolution absolutely matters. It's like the exposure triangle in photography, there is a relationship between CPU, GPU and resolution. Changing any of those will change the FPS outcome.

I mentioned his choice with an i5 may bottleneck a 1070 at 1080p but he may be ok at 1440p because the GPU will be a greater limiting factor.

This is present when I play games like Overwatch on my 6700k/gtx1080 vs my 2700k/gtx770 on the same 1080p/120hz monitor. CPU use on the 6700k is as high and higher at times than the 2700k with a GPU that can only do 120-140fps vs theax 300fps on ultra.

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

You seem to be confusing FPS change due to more compute power when you are compute bound with the CPU due to resolution which doesn't doesn't have a relation. The GPU is responsible for handling resolution hence graphical processing unit. With a better CPU you are going to get better FPS if you are CPU bound. The CPU would give you the same performance at 1080P as it would at 4K., the difference would be with the GPU which would effect the FPS if you are GPU bound.

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya but I'm upgrading and I don't want to run into complications with a different mobo

• 42 months ago
  • 0 points

Please see my comments above to explain deeper what I meant in my last post

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

Unless you run specifically demanding games or high end GPUs that can push more frames than your CPU allows, hyperthreading will yield you little to no benefits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VacoxdT1o04

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

get the i7 probably.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Your motherboard most likely supports the haswell xeon processors. you can get a e3 1231v3 for around $250 and it will have similar performance to a 4790 non k. I7 performance for quite a bit less money

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube