add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Friends List - Input Requested

manirelli

73 months ago

Hey everyone!

We have seen your requests for more social aspect additions to the site and would like your input. A couple common suggestions have been features along the lines of a friends list and a way to follow threads you do not get direct replies to. Before we start developing things all willy-nilly we would like to get your feedback all in one place to see what other ideas you have. I will do my best to reply to every top level comment and our entire team will be watching this closely as well.

Thanks,

Ryan

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 5 points

This is a feature I would love to be implemented on pcpartpicker. This would give the user better opportunities to make a name for themselves in the forums and I am fully behind this idea. Another feature you could implement is ranking/badges, just a way to point out people who have used the forums for a long time/know what their doing. As for the profile picture picture as Jason mentioned, there would have to be alot of regulation in that area. Anyways, thanks as always for making pcpartpicker the best site it can possibly be and listening to feedback.

• 73 months ago
  • 2 points

I can easily see people using their ranking to make them feel entitled and to put others down. It could possible promote a toxic environment. If someone offers some advice and they dont have a badge/rank people may say, "Dont listen to this noob. Hes a troll." when he may be giving his honest opinion.

• 73 months ago
  • 0 points

Yeah, I don't see that as a problem. The community of pcpartpicker is much more mature community. Your idea of doing this is making everything equal. I don't think that is the right way of doing things. And while the badges may create some inequality in ranking, it will point out the good users, and will help create a more prosperous environment.

• 73 months ago
  • 0 points

Now you mention it, I think I prefer the ranking feature over the profile pictures. It certainly would be easier to regulate.

[comment deleted]
  • 73 months ago
  • 2 points

I suppose the friends list itself wouldn't be the best part of the update, it would be the smaller aspects of it. E.g. being notified if any of your friends have posted updates/forum posts or being notified if your friends log in. There may have to be a customization option since some people do post quite often. And with any new notification, it might be wise to revamp the notifications icon a bit - it'd be hard to keep track of if you have private messages, friend notifications and forum notifications. I need to find a synonym for notify!

I supposed there'd need to be some sort of user-search function added in there, so you can find/add people to begin with.

I would, personally, like to see a profile picture implemented into this as well - it's nice to put a name to the face. This would probably need a report function, just to be on the safe side.

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

I've personally wanted a Friend system implemented since the day I first joined this site. I also like the idea that JoeyThePCNoob mentioned about a ranking system.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

As jasonUK said a user search function would be nice. A friends list with friend tracking would be great. I do not want a profile picture. On this site the forums are a little different and i don't think a profile picture would go well with the structure. As JoeyThePCpro said a ranking system like toms would be nice. Especially the badges. Thanks!

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes please OMG yes please! I even made a thread about this. Please do it.

• 57 months ago
  • 0 points

I wouldn't necessarily call it a "Friend List". More like a "Contacts List". Calling it the former just doesn't fit the site IMO.

And that "ranking" stuff just seems unnecessary all together I believe.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube