add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$750 Budget Rig For My Wife

morganm

38 months ago

My wife has a first gen i7 that's has served her well for many years but it's just too slow now. I'd love to surprise her with a new PC for Christmas.

Uses: She does game so lets just say it's a gaming rig. However she doesn't need anything like 60fps @ 1440p Ultra settings. Let's just roughly say it should usually hold 60fps on High (not Ultra) settings for modern games. Also she does a lot of work using the Silhouette Studio and our robo-cutter which is kind of a cross between Illustrator and CAD. Along with that she uses Photoshop now and then. She's constantly printing stuff. Oh and she loves having a million browser tabs open continuously =)

Must Have:

• SSD: She's often reading and writing large files. I love my SSD and know she will love it too.

• Case: I know it's kind of personal but it's cool; throw in a case... I can always change it.

Do NOT Need:

• Monitor, keyboard, mouse, optical drive, speakers, headphones.

Budget

• $750 USD and please try to stick to it... I know it's easy to go over. If you must go over I'm willing to consider it but say why. What will that extra money really buy me? Is the extra cost really worth the added performance?

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $191.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock H170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $81.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $39.99 @ Newegg
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $61.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI Radeon RX 470 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card $173.98 @ Newegg
Case DIYPC Cuboid-B MicroATX Mini Tower Case $51.00 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $53.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $85.70 @ My Choice Software
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $740.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-14 18:01 EST-0500
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I like it; thank you for putting this together.

What do you think about the GTX 1050 Ti vs. Radeon RX 470 ?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The RX 470 wins by a considerable margin and worth the extra cost.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Just checked out some stats and spec comparison; totally agree.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $191.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $79.88 @ OutletPC
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $52.30 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $74.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 4GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card $99.98 @ Newegg
Case NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $66.69 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit $106.99 @ SuperBiiz
Total (before mail-in rebates) $772.61
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $722.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-14 18:40 EST-0500
Thats what i could pull together, hope it helped :)
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you hit everything nicely; even the case. Thanks!

What do you think about the GTX 1050 Ti vs. Radeon RX 460 ?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem! And as for the graphics cards, they're both pretty on par. Both preformance and pricing are pretty much the same but if you want better drivers and whatnot i would go with nvidia cards. But the 470, 480, and the R9 series cards all crush the 1050ti.

P.S sorry for the late response, it was about midnight when you replied where i live.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your input and no problem; I'm not in a big hurry. Waiting for Black Friday deals anyway.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Just out of curiosity... What was the budget of the machine this is replacing? Can you remember what you spent on it?

I'd be willing to be, it was a lot more than $750...

Reason I bring this up, is that, a $750 budget is probably going to force this build into i5-6500 territory. A great processor, a nice new platform, yes, it will be better, but sadly, in some heavily threaded workloads, it will only be ~25% faster than the old i7.

Truth be told, if you want to roughly double compute performance of her existing machine across a wide range of compute loads, it'll take a new i7 to do it, and that will eat half of your budget.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

i5-6500 would be fine. A system is more than its' CPU. Having faster RAM, FSB, GPU, SATA replacing her IDE, SSD instead of her slow HDD etc. etc... it will be a world of difference.

I spent wwwaaayyyy less than $750 but it's a long story and not really relevant... I'm not spending $1,000+ on a system. This is the budget I have now. Hoping Black Friday though may be able to boost my budget!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

That said... throw an i7 build on here and lets see what you can put together. I'll take a look at it; thanks!

• 38 months ago
  • -1 points

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $174.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $51.98 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $49.00 @ B&H
Storage A-Data Premier 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $191.25 @ Newegg
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini Video Card $138.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $29.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $33.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $84.89 @ OutletPC
Total (before mail-in rebates) $814.98
Mail-in rebates -$60.00
Total $754.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-14 19:04 EST-0500
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Seems like a solid build; thanks! Love the size of that SSD; seems almost too good to be true.

What do you think about the GTX 1050 Ti vs. Radeon RX 460 ?

Also curious why you went with the i5 6400 instead of the 6500?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

After doing some research I'd have to pass on this build. For about the same amount of money I could get an i5 6500 and an RX 460. I realize you shifted the money around to buy a larger SSD which is nice. Would rather have the horsepower than capacity though.

Your build sheet was a good prompt to think about something different and do some research. Thanks!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube