add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How scared should I be of static?

Impojr

38 months ago

I have never built a computer before, but I have seen warnings about static electricity.

Since my case and everything inside it will be resting on my carpet floor - should I be scared of static? I'm not sure if I should invest in an anti-static wrist band or just go for it.

Have you ever damaged any parts with static electricity?

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 3 points

Not scared at all. I don't recommend to do stuff in the video below but it just shows that you don't need to be paranoid and that touching the case every now and then will do fine so no need for a wrist band unless you are literally always shocking something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1la0a8RQ7kI

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

That was actually the video I watched before I made the post! Cool stuff!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

:( that's me. I seems to build up a lot of static and shock crap all the time. I use an anti static strap.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Most static worries are way overblown. Do a search on static in the forums and you'll find tons on the subject.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Unless you go moonwalking on carpet before you start building, generally there shouldn't be a problem. If you're overly concerned, just plug your Psu into the wall socket (don't power on) and touch the outside of psu. It will be grounded via the wall plug and so will you

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Doesn't everyone build while dancing to Michael Jackson wearing socks on carpet?

• 38 months ago
  • 3 points

I know I do... But I'm not very good at moonwalking and generally trip and fall down resulting in me needing to re-evaluate my life. PC building then ceases until I can re-motivate myself by taking a cold shower, in the dark, laying in the fetal position while crying. But, that's just me of course....

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you get shocked everyday where you live?

No> You will be fine if you just touch metal (PSU shroud, or Case)

Yes> Antistatic wristband will work.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I have fried a motherboards video output before by static discharge. I have burned out a radio On/Off switch on its circuit board before. Static is bad juju for electronics. I'm afraid of it.

To be fair I was wearing socks on carpet in the winter and had the case on my bedspread when I zapped the motherboard. The radio was while getting out of the car with a cheap jacket on that always helped generate awesome static arcs. The Ford dealer said "The power button on the board behind the faceplate was burnt. What happened?" I told the service writer and demonstrated by shocking him. Lol. My instructor tested the discharge voltage of the static that same year and the shop oscillascope was pegged at 100,000 volts at the discharge to ground. We also measured the maximum distance and I got it about 1 inch. I assume that jacket was a static generating monster, but I've always had to touch metal before shaking hands and such when thr air is cool, or In on carpet with socks. Once shocked the fool out of my wife going in for a kiss. I laughed. She screamed and hit me.

I use a static wrist strap and work on a wooden table bare foot in the kitchen when building everytime now.

• 38 months ago
  • 0 points

My best friends cousin put his 300 dollar motherboard on the carpet and it killed it lol

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

but I wouldn't worry too much about static just as long as your not like setting stuff on the carpet and I mean like raw parts, the case should be fine once everything is in it. And don't be like rubbing your feet on the carpet while building and like fingering your motherboard and stuff. XD

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You've probably taken a high school science class, or statistics or economics, so you probably know that a sample size restricted to one person and an experiment conducted with muddy methodology is not necessarily reliable. For all I know you could be building directly on a carpet or building on a table whist standing on a carpet. So really, it's not truth, it's a badly conducted experiment that would be difficult to replicate.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

he's right you know

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I know right?

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I don;t believe this one bit.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't believe what?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube