add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What Antivirus are you guys using?

Daithy

31 months ago

I haven't gamed for at least a decade but was a regular user on a laptop. I had been using Avira for about 2 years like 5 years ago. 'twas okay actually, GUI was very poor. Then I went through others like ESET, but settled with Avast.

I must say that I found Avast very good. Saved my *** many times. I think Avira slipped a few times. Once I got a virus which completely blocked Avira.

However, Avast is pissing me off lately, with the tons of features and pop-ups as of lately. I want my AV light, not a bloody MS Ofiice.

Now I will be gaming with my new rig. I have Win 10 x64. I know Avast has Gaming mode.

What are you guys using?

P.S. Is AV enough. Do I need Malwarebytes? I used to used Spybot, but that's gone to **** as well.

Comments

• 31 months ago
  • 3 points

I use both Malwarebytes and the standard Windows Defender. Definitely not the best antivirus setup, but good enough for someone who already plays it safe with downloads.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Same setup I use, actually. I was using bitdefender until I upgraded to windows 10, but apparently they don't offer windows 10 support on the free version, so I dropped it.

Really the majority of my protection comes browser side with Ublock origin and NoScript on Firefox. TBH I might need to add even more to that at some point but it works for now.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I use Avast, always have for as long as I can remember. It's a great antivirus, and runs real light was well. I've never used Malwarebytes, but I know it's a great software on it's own. There is really no need to have two antivirus software at the same time, Avast should have you covered. Has had my back for at least 8 years now.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

There is really no need to have two antivirus software at the same time, Avast should have you covered.

A. You should not use two antivirus software at the same time as they will conflict with each other and in many cases bring your protection levels down to the negative, let alone being unnecessary.
B. There is no such a thing as a perfect antivirus and therefore I find Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (and Anti-Exploit) as good additional layers of protection regardless. They should not cause conflicts.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Malwarebytes isn't considered an antivirus though

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I use Norton.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Norton was the boss back I the day. But they stopped doing straight AV for a while. How are they now, I know the reviews are good but haven't used them in a long while.

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

I actually use norton now and whenever it sees a virus it deletes it i Love Norton it has saved my PC a couple of times

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

ESET Smart Security.

Take a wild guess whyItMayBeIWorkForMicrocenter

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Ohhhhh, I get it :DDDDD

One question though, which one is better the Nod edition or the Smart security one

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Smart Security. Its a much more in depth antivirus

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

okay :D

ESET :-)

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

i run it raw... sorta... microsofts default av is still there doing its thing... spyware used to be something i ran always, but as mentioned, it fell to poop...

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Meh, I've got AVG. Common sense is pretty good though XD

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I use Avira in conjunction with malwarebytes. I'm researching other options though, do you know any details of the virus that Avira let through? Also, were you on the paid or free version?

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I really can't remember, it was like 7 years ago. I really can't praise Avast enough. It's a great antivirus. But as I said, they are creating a lot of miniapps within the program and it's really annoying.

For example, avast now tells you whates slowing down your PC; like temp files, useless program, improperly uninstallee programs, etc. I mean , who wants that in an antivirus!. I can download programs for this. I don't need my av scanning and using resources for this. These features weren't there like 2 years ago.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I noticed that last year when I was using Avast, I switched to Avira because of it. Avira still has the occasional little notification on the free version, but nowhere near as much as Avast. It's a shame really. So far Avira has served me well, I've not had any issues. uBlock Origin on my browser helps a lot too to prevent even getting anything on my computer in the first place.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Free.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Avast and Malwarebytes on Windows.

ClamTk with ClamAV on Linux

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

ClamTk with ClamAV on Linux

A.) You don't need to use both of them. ClamTk is the exact same thing as ClamAV, just with a graphical user interface instead of command line.
B.) Meh. Huge meh. Through both tests I've looked at and personal experience, this thing detects a ton of innocent files as PUA's but misses about 30% of viruses (I think it was something like that).

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Linux doesn't have that many viruses to begin with. I only install from APT anyway.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

According to AV-TEST, ClamAV only detected 66.1% of Linux malware and 15.3% of Windows malware (source: https://www.av-test.org/en/news/news-single-view/linux-16-security-packages-against-windows-and-linux-malware-put-to-the-test). That's quite low.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

OK, suggest to me a free AV to replace Clam

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, which Linux distribution are you using?

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

innocent files as PUA's

I'd actually WANT an AV that detects PUAs and PUPs.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I totally agree with that, but their definitions of PUA's are BS as they detect programs if they're programmed a certain way just because some malware are also programmed that way and also programs that the author thinks in their opinion are time wasters, etc.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

The 2 best ones for me are Kaspersky (eats cpu) or webroot (does not eat cpu but not as good as kaspersky) webroot is still good, it acts like kaspersky to me.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Kaspersky should be a pretty lightweight antivirus. Did you change any of the settings? Are you using both of them at the same time (which would cause conflicts and resource hogging)?

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I switched to webroot a while ago, and nope to all of your questions

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I use Kaspersky Total Security and like it so far.

P.S. Is AV enough. Do I need Malwarebytes? I used to used Spybot, but that's gone to **** as well.

Yes because Malwarebytes is designed to complement your antivirus and is great with even some of the best antiviruses currently available.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I use Panda Antivirus Pro and ESET Smart security.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think you should be mixing those two...they'll probably conflict with each other.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh no no they are on two different computers. Panda on my more powerful ones and ESET on the slower one

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

none. cause linux.

For the days I'm using windows: common sense and windows defender.

Haven't had an issue for ~6 years as far as I can tell.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm a long time user of ESET. Love the ease of use, seemingly less intrusive method of protection.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

sophos home ...bt security team recommended it ...they also said if i dont like it then go with avg or mcafee ...interesting that bt recommend third party products ....but seemed legit enough as recs go

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

...they also said if i dont like it then go with avg or mcafee

Both of those two, AVG and McAfee, suck. If they recommend both of those two, I would not take their advice as trustworthy.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I miss the old Spybot... AVG Free and Malwarebytes free seem to work well.

I also hate heavy U/I and pop-ups. With AVG the notifications can be shut off and updates/scanning done on a schedule I set. Flexible, thorough and light. I like it.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Eset Nod32 & Malwarebytes Premium.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I use Avast. I think that is not necessary to use super cool antivirus. enough not to press everything advertising, banners and not to climb on suspicious sites. It's enough to use the free Avast.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I think that is not necessary to use super cool antivirus.

Sure, but having a good antivirus is important.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I like Avast. Previously I used Kaspersky antivirus, but it is very shipping system. then switched to avast and was very happy.

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

but it is very shipping system.

What do you mean by a very "shipping system"?

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I see a lot of Avast users here and I too am one, I also see some AVG users. In case you all do not know. On July 07 2016 Avast purchased AVG - for 1.3 Billion U.S. Dollars - It is all Avast now.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Currently using Microsoft Security Essentials and have for years. Although when i get my new pc built i plan to either use BitDefender, Eset or maybe paid version of Avast

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Linux user, so none.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Avast just let me down again. Got malware 2 days ago and Avast didn't notice a thing. I notice that my mouse cursor wasn't as smooth as normal and my Edge was hijacked to some bloody War Tanks game. Malware Bytes sorted it out!

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Why haven't you replaced your antivirus?

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Kaspersky has never let me down

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I use AVG, not that I feel like I need it. Being careful should be enough 99% of the time.

I really don't like AVG though, many popups and unnecessary garbage(literally pops up ads sometimes), but I'm too lazy to change it.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I really don't like AVG though, many popups and unnecessary garbage(literally pops up ads sometimes), but I'm too lazy to change it.

Is it uninstalling AVG, choosing a new antivirus, setting up a new antivirus, or just the transition process in general that's been holding you back?

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Its an old laptop and I hate it. I just haven't bothered

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I recommend you do change it. It will be worth it to change it. Some good options currently are Kaspersky, BitDefender, and F-Secure, paired with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Anti-Exploit.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I use Kaperskey because they were the best at the time of purchase

[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Please replace it, before you get let down by your AV.

[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Horrible. It has let me down every possible time it could have done so. AV-TEST revealed very, very poor detection accuracy. It is/was an extremely intense resource hog. Very frustrating user interface. And the support is awful.

[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

McAfee LiveSafe

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

How is the free version of BitDefender?

[comment deleted]
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

It's pretty good in terms of threat detection.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 2 points

Well at least that takes the hassle out of maintaining it

[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Well that explains it then

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

XD

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube