add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Malwarebytes detected something! HELP!

AwesomeBuilderXE1901

38 months ago

My laptop was running slow so I ran malwarebytes. It detected some 5 things and quarantined them. Then it told me to reboot , so I rebooted. And then ran malwarebytes again. And it detected something again , so repeat, and I'm running a custom scan now. What do I do? (aside from clean installing)

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 5 points

Good job rescanning after restarting, that's what you're supposed to do.

That means that it is detecting malware but keeps failing to remove it somehow and detects it again upon rescanning. Please follow these instructions to hopefully remove the infection:

• Download and run RKill to kill and terminate known malicious processes that could interfere with Malwarebytes
  • Run Malwarebytes Chameleon (i.e. self protection mode) and allow it to run a Threat Scan to remove the infection
  • Run a full Custom Scan with everything checked and rootkit scanning enabled outside Chameleon after the main infection has been removed. (You cannot run a full Custom Scan inside Chameleon.)

If necessary, boot into Safe Mode (w/ or w/out Networking) and run RKill, Malwarebytes Chameleon, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Even following my instructions/process, you should still be sure to scan again after threat removal.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there a reason you decided to quarantine them instead of completely murdering the code of them?

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Quarantine is a good choice for malware detections because if the detections are false positives or the removal causes any system instability the detected files can easily be restored. Threats in quarantine are completely harmless unless they are restored and put back into life, and that makes quarantine a good option. Malwarebytes does not detect malware within its own quarantine, and the detection upon rescanning is caused by some failure to remove the infection, not the fact that it is set to quarantine.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have any updates?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

It's my family PC actually, so I can't download and install anything. Malwarebytes keeps detecting the stuff again.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Then you can run Malwarebytes Chameleon in administrator mode (without RKill) which is already installed with Anti-Malware. You don't need to install anything extra to do so.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't have admin rights on that PC!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You can't do very much PC maintenance kind of work without administrator permissions. Running Chameleon requires admin permission so I don't think this issue can be fixed without admin rights.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I will have to ask my dad to get me into his admin account. Then I'll try.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

uhhh ....... what? (profanity filter)

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The best way to kill a virus... and your os lol!

*flashbacks to babylon toolbar lol

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The best way to kill a virus...

Not really, given that the juice of most malware infections are outside the registry.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

*Flashbacks intensify

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube