add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can Mcafee prevent pc from shutting down?

FUZEIII

38 months ago

After being on for about 8 hours doing some school work I finally shut down my pc, but when i did it didnt shut down. It just went to sleep. I woke my pc up and logged back in and chose the shut down option again and it went back to sleep again. I wasnt sure what it was so i decided to run a mcafee scan and i clicked the "shut down after scan is compete and no threats are found" , and it fully shut down that time. Im not having the issue anymore after doing the scan. So can mcafee cause my pc to go to sleep when i try to shut it down?

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Your problem is caused by using McAfee in the first place. Uninstall it via the Control Panel (Add/Remove), run McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, and spend a whole two days cleaning the damn McAfee virus off your computer - removing components that MCPR intentionally failed to remove and scrubbing through the deep registry (well, only experts should look at the registry).

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

yea im no expert when it comes to removing this kind of stuff. I can uninstall it no problem. Damn, is it really that bad as well? lol Also someone mentioned kaspersky, is that any good? Looking for a new reliable anti virus now -_-. Any suggestions?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

yea im no expert when it comes to removing this kind of stuff. I can uninstall it no problem.

You can uninstall McAfee via Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel and then run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool to follow up.

Damn, is it really that bad as well? lol

Yes. https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-8/june-2016/mcafee-internet-security-2016-162264

Also someone mentioned kaspersky, is that any good?

Yes.

Looking for a new reliable anti virus now -_-. Any suggestions?

Kaspersky or BitDefender

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly!!!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

This. Even Mr Macfeee himself knows it crappy.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Not surprised. McAfee has more problems than Mexico has drug smuggling problems.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

^ McAfee is so flaky and just sucks

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

When I see a consumer pc with problems (like family or friends) first thing I do is check for McAfee. It's installed by many manufacturers and is hard to remove as well as all the other problems it comes with.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

McAfee is preinstalled on thousands of prebuilts and that's the only thing that's keeping them from hitting the ground since their software sucks so badly. You can use the antivirus called the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool to remove the virus called McAfee.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

To me, that's like having a special screwdriver to remove screws screwed in at completely weird angles on a fence for no real reason or something. Just doesn't make much sense.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, agree! .. but their mcafee VirusScan Enterprise is good.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Doesn't it have the same low detection rates as the consumer scanner?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Overall it is not bad. I wouldn't compare it to Kaspersky, bitdefender or Avira either which IMO are the best.

At least the enterprise version is waaay more stable than the home version as it is meant for corporate. You wont get excellent detection but at least you get a decent detection without the crappy performance from home version.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/avc_fdt_201603_en.pdf

Not the best for file detection , but take for instance that it was one of the best with false positive. (not that it matters much.. )

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

But doesn't Avast have adware bundled with it?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube