add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

NVIDIA CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!!

Tooth

42 months ago

NVIDIA GTX 980 Class Action Lawsuit Settlement
Email from newegg this morning: 8/1/2016 10:03 AM

We have been informed about a class action lawsuit settlement with NVIDIA regarding the GTX 980 graphics card. Newegg is currently awaiting details about the settlement claims process (instructions, website). Once we have this important information, we will send you a follow-up email with the specifics on how you can submit your claim.

Update:

Not just 980/970's. Boatload of Nvidia and AMD video cards. Might be worth $30 bucks https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:VUPgm6Z111cJ:blog.newegg.com/nvidia-gtx-970-class-action-lawsuit/+&cd=1&hl=en-US&ct=clnk&gl=en

update 2

You recently received an email from us regarding a class action lawsuit related to a GeForce GTX 980 product that you purchased. This email was sent in error and was not accurate. There is no current or pending class action lawsuit related to the product that you purchased. We apologize for any misunderstanding this may have caused.

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

The class action lawsuit is about the GTX 970, not the GTX 980. Newegg must have made a typo. NVIDIA is paying out $30 to every GTX 970 owner as part of the class action settlement.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Huh, I got the email too. I bought a GTX 970 about a year ago, but I wasn't aware of the whole 3.5GB debacle until very recently.

I guess I get free money then? Yay?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, it's free money. I think $30 of free money to each GTX 970 owner. I don't think the 980 or 950 are included, but I am starting to hear people saying they are.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Its not a typo. They had a whole blog with a massive list of cards ranging from the GTX 970, the GTX 960, the R9 280 to the R9 Nano.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

OK. I wonder why AMD and NVIDIA are being bundled together in a single class action lawsuit. What's going on here is that NVIDIA advertised 4 GB of VRAM but 0.5 GB of that was slower than else. This is a highly controversial topic (as usual for this kind of thing) and some are saying that AMD is better and others are saying that the RX 480's power draw issue was much worse than 0.5 GB of VRAM being slower.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Similar lawsuits get bunched together as a matter of convenience and speed for the courts. So, somewhere along the line, a lot of products outside of the GTX 970 were added.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I saw that. It still doesn't really make sense to me to bunch AMD and NVIDIA, two different companies, together in a single lawsuit. (Of course, that's just my personal opinion.)

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Well they make the same kind of products so I guess its good enough for the courts.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Im guessing this only applies for people living within US though.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

What's the lawsuit for?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I think NVIDIA and AMD advertised their cards as having 4 GB of VRAM but 0.5 GB of that VRAM was slower than the rest.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

And this is on amd? Man, I thought this was just the 970...

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Several NVIDIA cards and several AMD cards. All bunched together in the same class action lawsuit. Settlement has been proposed but is yet to be approved by the court.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm... Interesting.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

the settlement itself has yet to be approved by the court, and signups are not yet available.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

It's starting to look like Newegg screwed up here...

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

You recently received an email from us regarding a class action lawsuit related to a GeForce GTX 980 product that you purchased. This email was sent in error and was not accurate. There is no current or pending class action lawsuit related to the product that you purchased. We apologize for any misunderstanding this may have caused.

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

nah. got an e-mail for one with the 960 also. theyre all falling under false advertising.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Something about advertising 4 GB of VRAM when it had about 3.5 GB or so.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Idk man. if this list is mostly true. it may be more than just the 4gb ram fopr false advertising. lot of amd on here.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:VUPgm6Z111cJ:blog.newegg.com/nvidia-gtx-970-class-action-lawsuit/+&cd=1&hl=en-US&ct=clnk&gl=en

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

You can't sign up yet. IIRC they will reach out to affected customers. Note that the settlement has only been proposed and has yet to have been approved by the court.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I have 2 sapphire r9 380, 60$? ;)

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I think that AMD's situation was the same or similar to NVIDIA's situation where 0.5 GB of the total VRAM was slower than the rest.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Well like the VRAM problem. I am curious to know why AMD has to deal with this in the first place, maybe the RX 480 power issue?

No, this is about 0.5 GB of VRAM being slower to access than the rest. Same thing going on with AMD as with NVIDIA. Both cases were bunched together into a single class action lawsuit. IIRC there may potentially be a pending class action lawsuit against AMD for the RX 480 power draw issue.

I have no clue but that was fixed within days so I'm lost.

About a week or so. I'm sure there still was some impact so I wouldn't say that's an excuse.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube