add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

When to download Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware on a new build

SHMODY

34 months ago

I'm curious on when I need to download the Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware software.

I'm building my PC tonight or tomorrow. I know I need to put it all together. Run the bios and install windows 10 through a usb.

After I have the OS on the computer and I can access the internet should I start updating drivers for my hardware or should I first install the software for the Anti-Virus/Malware before I start downloading things?

Plan on running Avast / Malwarebytes.

Comments

• 34 months ago
  • 5 points

After your build is 100 percent functional.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

So you recommend getting all the driver updates downloaded and installed before protection?

• 34 months ago
  • 5 points

yes, download drivers on a another computer also. use thumb drive or something else to transfer it.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Right on, appreciate it man.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

As a tip, I usually take my build to work (since we have gigabit internet) after it is mostly stable, and download all my software in one go so it only takes like 10 minutes on my lunchbreak. Not sure if that's a possibility for you though.

• 34 months ago
  • 3 points

Install it after your driver's and before you start doing normal computer tasks

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

You can purchase an installation disc or USB from a retail store and install it before connecting to the internet. Then install Windows updates. Keep all of your programs updated.

• Avast wouldn't be my personal choice because of their malicious adware in their free version.
  • You can run almost any antivirus alongside with the premium version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Anti-Exploit.
  • Keep Windows updated and check for updates frequently.
  • Don't use Internet Explorer and use a more secure browser like Google Chrome.
  • Keep all programs updated and periodically uninstall any programs you do not use.
  • Install and keep updated an adblocker like Adblock Plus or uBlock Origin.
  • And VERY importantly, only visit websites you know are legitimate. No security software is perfect.

The list goes on and on. You could also purchase the premium versions of Hitman Pro, RogueKiller, and any other security software you can think of. Never run more than one full security suites side-by-side!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube