add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Very worried about my PSU.

RyanBuildsAPC

40 months ago

The PSU that I have is a Sentey XPlus Power 725w, and I'm worried that I might've gone a little overboard. Here's a list of all the parts I've bought already. It says on the page that the estimated watt consumption was 149w, and 725 seems to be a lot. I've heard that having too much power can damage the rest of the hardware. What to do? Or is 725w just fine??

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 4 points

There is no such thing as too much power and having more wattage than you need damaging hardware is a complete myth, the psu only draws what it needs. Where ever/whomever you got that from disregard all psu advice from them since if they believe that they obviously don't know anything in depth about psus and are probably the people that say the CX series are bombs.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

outside of a minor efficiency variance, there is no reason ever to be worried about a psu being too big. datacenter IT staff worry about that, not consumers :P

+1 to vagabond

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, I see. Thanks.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

agree! Only thing missing is sentey being a crappy PSU.... He shouldnt be worry about extra wattage, but definitely about the sentey psu blowing up. :)

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

whoever told you that is a moron... never listen to them about anything, ever, seriously...

that said, Sentey is really a junk company. if you already own it, just know its junk. if you dont have it yet, dont buy it.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Damn, I already had bought it. It was less than $50 on sale. Send it back?

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

if its unopened, sure...

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

if your needs are for a basic system, no heavy graphics card needed, then here: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100b10500kr or http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx600

thats not awesome units, but they are solid good quality basic units.

this one may be a little better: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-xfxts550w

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Sentey isn't very good for PSU's but I think they have like on ok unit.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Whoever told you that a overkill PSU is either lying or doesn't know what they're talking about and should be of sendings to gulag firmly told otherwise. I would suggest a rmx 550, and throwing the sentey in the trash, it isn't even 80+ rated, it is practically an explosive device. In addition that set up as it stands isn't worth it, You still need storage, a video card, and RAM as well as a case

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube