add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is it safe to RMA a power supply?

ItsSeanBroleson

40 months ago

So I think my power supply just **** itself. I've been getting blue and red screens for months, but I'd change a driver or something and the problem would temporarily go away. I suppose those were coincidences. I actually just looked at power supplies last week because after analyzing a bug check, it seemed like a likely culprit.

Anyway, I was playing FO4 and I heard a popping noise, my display disappeared, but power didn't immediately turn off. I pulled the cord from the wall and there was a burnt smell; no smoke though. My copponents don't looked charred of bulged and the burnt smell is definitely coming from my power supply (an Azza Dynamo 850w).

My question: is it even smart to RMA this thing to get the same one? It's efficiency is rated at 78% and even though I can't believe I would skip on a good power supply, somehow I missed the fact that there are no positive reviews for this thing. It has been less than two years, so I could send it to Azza, but what's the point to get the same crap back? Should I just buy a new, better rated PSU?

What would/have you all done in this situation?

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 3 points

I would buy a better power supply. Rma the one you have and sell replacement on eBay or something to cover the cost of buying a solid unit. Looking at your build you can get away with far less wattage. Grab a solid RMx / RMi or G2 in 550 watts.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with the recommendations, solid units. I don't know about selling the replacement though, especially if the first one died, I wouldn't want to be on the buying end of one of those and have it kill my system and lose all of my data.

[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

AMD 8350, R9 280, Asus MA99FX mobo, 8gbs of rip jaws, 840 Evo and 3tb drive as mains. With up to 4 or 5 other drives connected sometimes. I want a larger PSU for breathing room later.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube