add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Evga Supernova GS: Good/Bad?

extremisbuild

40 months ago

I'm looking at the 550w Evga Supernova GS for my build. This PSU is enough for my needs, and even lets me overclock either the cpu or gpu, but I'm wondering if this power supply is good. I know the G2 is good but this is $10 cheaper and received a similar rating on JohnnyGuru.

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thanks

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

When you look at the EVGA GS 550 by itself from a purely objective point of view, it's not a bad power supply, but it isn't great either. Decent would be the best word for it.

Let's look at some reviews from professionals.

TomsHardware, jonnyGURU. Keep in mind that the 550/650 GS units use 1 platform, and the 850/1050 use a much superior platform. The 550/650 GS's platform resembles the Seasonic G, but is not actually a G series. It appears to be a smaller more compact version. The GS also has a FDB fan. The 850/1050 GS is based on the X KM3 platform, the one used in the Seasonic X series.

70mv of ripple on the 12v rail, 1.65% voltage regulation on the 12v rail, and a price too close to the EVGA G2 makes this unit a failure.

Spend the extra $5 to get the G2 with the longer warranty, and much better performance.

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

yup, they are not as close in terms of performance or build quality as these other posts make it out to be. the GS 550/650 are on par with the 650 GQ. the Seasonic G based units are all better, but are all very loud running power supplies too. the G2 is a much better choice.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I say either go for the G2 for $5 more, or the GQ which goes on sale more often.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, thanks.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

The super nova units are VERY good, but the NEX are the ones you should avoid(the NEX units are decent, but their are better units for price)

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I might just go with the GS. Good thing I know the NEX should be avoided, I was looking at that linup. Thanks!

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Np

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

GS is a good quality line. G2 is considered a step up, and GQ is a step down, but they are all good ones.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thanks

[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thanks!

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, ok. That's very helpful, thanks!

[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thanks!

[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, I'll look into that. Thanks for the help!

[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

That's looks good! Thanks!

[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

SeaSonic and Super Flower 5ever.

It's too bad SF has such a tiny US market aside from OEM

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

:)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube