• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

philip 38 months ago

Wednesday we migrated the site to AWS. I took the site down for maintenance around 5:30, and then flipped the switch back on a few hours later. It was a crazy couple weeks of preparation leading up to the move though.

Traffic here is enough that a while back we had to abandon the single-box approach of running a frontend and database on the same box. Nowadays we have a handful of systems that divy out various responsibilities. It has helped us scale with traffic, but makes migration to a new hosting provider a bit more time consuming.

The whole migration ended up being a lot more work than I anticipated. Most of it went smoothly, but it wasn't without issues. I think I fixed the last of the major issues today though. I'm worn out - time to finally get some decent sleep...

Comments Sorted by:

Xorex64 1 point 38 months ago

What does this migration mean for us, as users?

Just curious

TheNoob 2 points 38 months ago

moar dedodated wam!!!

philip staff submitter 10 Builds 1 point 38 months ago

Better site performance and more resilient to outages.

So smoother site browsing, cool!

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

RING RING RING

Did you get a decent sleep?

philip staff submitter 10 Builds 1 point 38 months ago

8 hours! First time to get that much in at least a month, so I'm feeling pretty good.

[comment deleted]
elvenson 5 Builds 1 point 38 months ago

so THATS why it was down... I was wondering about that

The error message said "server upgrades" so i assumed it was that.

elvenson 5 Builds 1 point 38 months ago

What threw me off is that I didn't see an announcement before or after, so I figured it may have been a generic message for some other thing.

philip staff submitter 10 Builds 2 points 38 months ago

Yeah, we typically don't post any kind of advance notice on the downtime, but instead just try to minimize it to a couple hours at most and do it at an off-peak time. The only other times we'll put the site into maintenance mode is if I push up a code change and botch something bad. Otherwise it really is for infrastructure changes.