• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

philip 39 months ago

Over the December break we accumulated a large number of code changes waiting to go live. Short of the site redesign, I'd say it's the largest set we'll have every pushed live at any one point. The bulk of them will be invisible - they're mainly for maintainability and future stuff. But some of the changes will add some new features

Some new minor things are:

• Basic forum search. The initial roll out will be just subject/topic search. It's more capable than that, but we're limiting it to that until we work out some usability issues (limiting search to users, specific forums, etc.)
  • Upgraded markdown parsing. 99% of the markdown used here won't be affected. But some auto-linked URLs should now be done properly (like URLs with colons beyond the http protocol token). It's step #1 in the process of auto-inlining part lists in the forums, so that if someone links a plain PCPP permalink url, you'll be able to click a little expander to see what the part list is inline.
  • Fixed some registration resend options to reset the registration time window. Only affects a few people a month, but it does make a difference to those folks.
  • Ability to subscribe to reply notifications on any topic, guide, completed build, etc. Basically, opt-in to get notifications on any comment posted to those regardless of whether it is to you or someone else (and email replies if you've opted for those in your user preferences). I realized how bad I needed those for topics in these forums, so that got added.

Most of this was ready a week ago, but we didn't want to risk messing anything up right after Christmas. Most of our staff was spending time with family, so I definitely didn't want to burden anyone with watching for site issues during that time. Same thing applies with weekends, so I suspect we'll probably roll out the tweaks early next week.

Comments Sorted by:

FH100 3 points 39 months ago

Some new minor things are:

Basic forum search.

Heck, even a basic search is a major deal. I'd say it's like saying "we can now list CPUs, but only single core chips right now"; a minor step that lays the groundwork for even better things.

GentlemanShark 1 Build 2 points 39 months ago

More like, "we can now list GPUs, but only nVidia cards."

pegotico 2 Builds 1 point 39 months ago

Ability to subscribe to reply notifications on any topic, guide, completed build, etc.

that is definitely great!!! :)

floridaboz 4 Builds 1 point 39 months ago

I just have one question, is there going to ever be a option to upvote and downvote topics instead of just the comment themselves in the forums?

manirelli staff 8 Builds 1 point 39 months ago

That is not a feature we plan on adding.

Xorex64 1 point 38 months ago

Wow, then my comment karma would fluctuate DRAMATICLLY as i have ALOT of topics that people can down and upvote freely

floridaboz 4 Builds 2 points 38 months ago

well, i always upvote you............

Xorex64 0 points 38 months ago

Yeah, but i make some new topics everyday, and who knows how many people are just going to hunt down my anime topics amd dpwnvote them?

526christian 1 point 38 months ago

You could complain to poor Philip or Ryan and they could deal with it if that were to happen.

Xorex64 -1 points 38 months ago

Nah, its not troll downvoting if they actually dislike the anime topics, i still would like for topiv up and down voting though

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]