add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help, I don't understand PSU selection

drodak

53 months ago

Hey everyone. So I've Started the process of building my first PC. I've picked Most of the Parts (purchased many), but I'm having trouble picking a power supply. I'm having trouble getting my head around what all the cables are that come with a power supply (or what ones it can handle in case of a modular PSU) and how those compare to the components I will have.

Here is my build: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ NCIX US) Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($115.04 @ Newegg) Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg) Storage: Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon) Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 2GB Dual WindForce Video Card ($163.98 @ Newegg) Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)

The current estimated wattage sits around 270W so I'm thinking a PSU somewhere in the 430-550W range is probably what I'm looking for. Additionally, I like the concept of a modular or a semi modular PSU, but I'm not really sure its necessary.

It is possible that I could want to add a BluRay drive, TV tuner or a HDD down the line. I don't think those components would take the estimated wattage above 300W so at that point its just a question of having enough connectors. Besides, i have usb blu ray drive, tv tuner and a NAS already so I would probably only want those parts if something died.

If possible when suggesting a power supply any reasoning behind the selection would be great, as would a list of what connectors from the PSU I'm actually going to need from this build.

Thank you for all the help.

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

since you're selecting Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard, I assuming you gonna populate another GTX 950 in future. If that the case, you might want to add another 100W on your accumulated PC power rating.

I often use PSU calculator to calculate minimum power rating: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.psudatabase.app

after getting power rating, select any good reputation PSU model. you can check from site review such as hardwaresecrets.com, jonnyguru.com,hardocp.com, for example.

cable modularity is pretty much for improving ventilation which doesn't really matter if you arrange your cable good enough. Another reason is for cosmetic purposes since cable can be substituted to match PC overall color theme.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably not going to add another video card.. not in the foreseeable future at least. I ended up with the gaming 5 board mostly because i got it on huge sale ($110) and it gave me room for expandability, but in reality its probably way more motherboard than i needed.

550W seems to be the wattage everyone is recommending to me, and at that wattage I would probably want mondular since I wouldnt be using most of the connectors on a non modular box and it will allow me to keep things clean with good airflow. though you are right it is probably not a necessity.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

This place is where I usually go as my reference on how much power my system will need based on the graphics card. It's not completely accurate, but it gives me a good idea on what wattage power supply I should keep my eye out for. Do you have a set budget that you are willing to spend?

BTW why do you need 16gb of RAM?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I'm trying not to overspend, but I don't really have a budget per say. probably looking to be sub $80. I know this is one of those "the more you pay the more you get" categories. I just have a problem quantifying value. That link was excellent and exactly the kind of reference I was looking for.

16GB RAM... ram is cheap, it popped up on sale when I was looking to get 8GB of the same the extra 8Gb cost me like $15 more

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I would go with any of these. There are plenty of other 500w-550w units out there there are high quality, but these were the first ones that popped into my head.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

That Power Supply should do well for you..

Hope this Helps !!

• 53 months ago
  • 0 points

One of the PSUs that was recommended by multiple people is the XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply. the idea of a more efficient PSU appeals to me, though I dont really know how much it really matters.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

That is a very Solid Power Supply as well..

If you stick to Tier 1 and Tier 2 from this list you should be good.

Went with EVGA GS and PS on my recent builds because they are Solid and I really like the looks and size.

Hope this Helps !!

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

How important/significant is 80+ Gold versus 80+ bronze for example? is it worth a $20-30 hike in price? Does quality of the product go up with the efficiency?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Does quality of the product go up with the efficiency?

Nope not all, efficiency only means efficiency, nothing else.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I know that efficiency doesnt imply better build quality, was more or less wondering if higher efficiency psu by companies tend to be their better made higher quality lines as a trend (not necessarily a rule.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

yes, this is the case as a trend. it was even more so the case 6+ years ago. nowadays making an 80+ gold psu is cheaper and there is no shortage of mediocre or worse psus rated 80+ gold.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Yesterday I had decided on going with the :EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply and was going to order it this week.

Today I check my inbox and find that the EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply is on sale for $10 less, is there any reason (such as the estimated wattage of my system being just under 280W that I shouldnt get the P2 650 instead of the G2?

They both are top tier, johnny guru review of the G2 550 was a perfect 10. The P2 650 wasn't reviewed but both the p2 850 and the p2 1000 got 9.7. The P2 650 is higher efficiency and higher max output.

Is this a situation where more is better when all other things are essentially the same, or by going higher wattage will i be burning unnecessary power or creeping out of an efficiency sweetspot range (42% load on the 650 vs 50% load on the 550)?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

The sweet spot for efficiency is at 50%. However it's not going to make a noticeable difference in your power bill. If you can get the p2 for $10 cheaper I'd go for it. Your PSU will only draw the wattage that your components need, so you'll just have a more headroom for addons with the 650, and you won't be wasting power. Both the g2 and p2 are built by super flower. They make awesome psus. They are just rebranded by evga.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks everyone for all the help, I ended up ordering the EVGA P2 650 today for $70 after rebate.

You were all very helpful.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube