add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1000W PSU Overkill for Single 980 Ti?

Meteorite777

52 months ago

Hey guys, so I'm very close to completing my build and just putting some finishing touches on it. I'm torn between PSU wattage. My current estimated wattage draw is about 470 with my current build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jGDw4D

I was going to get a 650 or 750 Gold Certified EVGA Modular PSU, however I am going balls to the walls with this build compared to my original budget and so I'd like to it make it as futureproof as possible and not have to upgrade or build another one for a loooong time. One of the things I'd like to leave room for is possibly adding another 980 Ti a year or two or three down the road as they become cheaper and my rig becomes a little more outdated. I figured 470W + 250W would leave me at 720W out of 750W so that would be technically feasible under load but not necessarily ideal. I have never overclocked before but if I can figure it out with this build I may do some very minor overclocking (4.0 to 4.2 stable or something). Would it be a bad idea or damaging to get a 850W or 1000W PSU when I I only currently have a 470W draw system? I also may plan to add a PCI3 M.2 Drive as an OS boot drive as they come down in price which is why I want to leave room for expansion.

Thank for the help guys!

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

For a single 980 ti 1000 watts is way above overkill. A good 550-650 would suffice. I'd personally get a 650 or the 750 you already have in your list.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess what I was asking is what should I get if i may add another 980Ti in SLI a ways down the road? Would an 850 suffice without being as expensive and overkill as the 1000W?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes an 850 would be what I'd recommend for 2 980 ti.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

for the future sli, theres no reason to lower the wattage. If you know you are likely not to get a second card, then you might want to lower it though

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

yea, you are way over the mark with a 1000 watt. an 850 watt will do fine for SLI with space. this build though, nice case, have the same one myself. the cpu cooler needs some improvement. the motherboard is also overboard, an X99 solution would be better for the cost. a 980ti at 1080p is overkill. metro LL is my most power hungry benchmark or game and my load consumption with my 4770k at 4.6ghz @1.265v and my 980ti at 1500 mhz core is only around 430 - 470 watts max. add another 980ti you're still under 750 watt most of the time. http://i.imgur.com/wGIMqds.png

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey thanks for the feedback and good choice on the case man! :) So the build I listed isn't representative of my final build. I am going with either the Asus PG279Q or the Acer Predator Xb271HU 1440p IPS 144+hz but they won't be released for another month or three so I am picking up that Asus as a small stand-in monitor in the meantime and will use it as a side monitor or re-sell it when I pick up whichever of those monitors I decide on. Is that a good plan? I wasn't sure if I should wait for the PG279Q or just pick up an Acer XB270HU and now say screw it instead of waiting for the newer models.

I also was struggling with the motherboard for the past week or so. I was mainly looking at the Asus Z170-A, the Maximus VIII Hero, or the Z170-Deluxe. They all seem to fulfill my needs, the Maximus moreso but it doesn't fit my build Aesthetially with the red. I was kinda going for a blue and white theme. I can't see much of an improvement on the Deluxe other than Wifi and Bluetooth and the add-in cards which I probably wouldn't use. Is the Z170-A enough?

Also I am looking at better CPU coolers right now. I looked at the size of the Evo and it looks BIG and CLUNKY but it's cheap and I am not looking to spend $100 on a cooler necessarily as my budget is already out of control (especially with an $800 to add in).

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

the Acer XB270HU that's out is a really good monitor so if it's gonna be too long a wait just get that one. if you're doing a temporary monitor either get a cheaper one or get it somewhere you can return it like microcenter (if you live close to one).

the Z170-A should be fine, but Asus made some brain frts. one, the Z170-A has a doo doo brown pcb. I know it's a silly thing, but that alone will keep me from ever buying one. second, they didn't launch or plan for a Z170 Pro. they showed a Z97 Deluxe at computex with painted heatsinks and a sticker that said Z170 Pro on it when the board never existed. Raja at asus recently stated they were now making a Z170 Pro, but I've heard nothoing on that since. for the cost of the 6700k and Deluxe I would simply get the 5820K and X99 Pro. more cpu cores, more pci-e lanes, the socket is getting at least another two generations of cpu. I wouldn't put that much money in this mainstream socket that wiull be dead and replaced in 18 months.

the 212 EVO is a nice budget cooler, but there are some alternatives that are simply better. the Cryorig H7 is the same price and performs better. it also matches the aesthetic of your build. another couple good ones are the phanteks TC12DX at $50 and the thermalright TS140 power or TS 140 BW A. which are way better than the others. don't have to spend alot to get a great cooler.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I was mainly looking at the XB270HU for the IPS panel. I've been looking to build for over a month or so and they announced their new monitor upgrades for both companies while I was looking so now I was torn but I think it's worth the wait for the new models. I've read about horrible issues with light bleed and dead pixels so I'm hoping that will be cleared up by QC with these newer models. Especially with incoming price drops. The Swift is upgrading to an IPS panel as well so I'm leaning that way (I don't like the stand on the new Acer Predator model and they use the same panel anyways I believe).

Also yes I've been researching difference between the all these models of MOBO's for about a week or two now and the brown PCB is killing me! I don't think the Deluxe is worth the increase in $$ but the Maximus doesn't fit the look (idk how much I care since it is only a small amount of red). Last night I was getting antsy and so just said screw it and threw the deluxe in my cart with the Wifi, Bluetooth, 6 USB 3.1 ports, and expansion cards I tried to justify it but honestly I will be wired and probably not do a lot of data transfer over USB (no external drives) so it's probably not worth it but I'm getting antsy and was looking to place an order sometime today.

I will definitely take a look into those coolers and could justify spending $30-50 on a better one if it looks a little nicer/performs better. The EVO looks like it would make the build very cramped and kinda ugly IMO.

Do you have any suggestions? I don't know that I need X99 as I would only use one or two drives and will be using it mostly for gaming but I do agree with you about spending this much $ on a short lived retail platform. This is the first build I've attempted in probably 6 years or so and my first high-end build so I'm trying to do it once and do it right and make it last and be able to upgrade as it gets older to stay relative by adding maybe a faster SSD and another 980 Ti down the road.

Thoughts?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

the Z170 Hero might work. it has a small amount of red and the color of the LED on the heatsink can be changed. you could paint the red bits white if you like. I painted my motherboard heatsinks white. I'd at least go with the H7 or TC12DX. if you don't need wifi the X99-A would work fine. or the MSI X99A Krait, another great motherboard.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I was looking at the Hero and it seems to have everything I need but just worried about the red haha, otherwise I think it would be great! Same with the Z170A if it wasn't that dirty brown color. Also how expensive is water-cooling? Is it worth looking into? I don't really know anything about it. Do most CPU coolers these days have a fan going along with the direction of airflow in the case? All the ones I've ever used were perpendicular to the CPU. Otherwise all of the LED's on my build are programmable and I guess I could get white ram like yours and just go with the hero and make it easy to change colors haha.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Also I think I decided on the 850, it should be enough to run an SLI set up with just enough room to spare and not reach 100% utilization under full load correct?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20850xr

As for the motherboards here is a more in-depth comparison chart: http://www.asus.com/microsite/best-100-series-motherboards/compare/

I was hoping to wait for a chipset with Intel's Alpine Ridge controller and Thunderbolt 3.0 support but it looks like that's a ways out so I can live without it I suppose. I am struggling heavily with MOBO choice as I don't want to throw more $$ then necessary but I do want to leave room for expansion (possible NVMe SSD boot drive down the road and/or 980 Ti when they get cheap enough).

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

that's a great psu.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube