add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How big of a PSU should I buy if I'm going to overclock?

thatoneiuse

53 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JRkfTW I know overlocking increases the power demand, I'm just unsure as to how much. Right now, it says I need 451w minimum to run my wip build and I know that I should buy a PSU with 20% to 40% extra watts to not overtax my PSU. Is there an online calculator to find out how much extra watts a build will need if certain parts are overclocked?

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

Is there an online calculator to find out how much extra watts a build will need if certain parts are overclocked?

Yep

Right now, it says I need 451w minimum to run my wip build and I know that I should buy a PSU with 20% to 40% extra watts to not overtax my PSU. Don't focus on that too much, your psu is actually more efficient closer to max load.

Just eyeballing ti right now, you can run the 980 ti with a solid 650 watt psu, but I would recommend going for the 750-850 watt range since your planning to overclock. I recommend the EVGA Supernova 850 g2.

Another note: consider a hard drive, 250 gigs isn't a lot.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

not only is every online calculator inaccurate, especially the latest version of the most popular one, this build doesn't need a 650, definitely not a 750 or 850 watt psu for one 980ti and an i5 being the big power draws in it. 750 and 850 can run 980ti SLI in this build.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

this build as is is not too good. the case is old and not too good with mounting options. it's going to be hard mounting the hybrid's radiator and that D15 in the case together. on to the psu question, with a single 98ti you'll be fine with a 550-600 watt psu and that's taking into account max overclocks. all except a handful of 980ti's are voltage locked anyway, so you can't even break the 500 watt barrier with that build. with my i7 4770k at 4.7ghz/ 1.35v and my 980ti at 1500/8000 my highest power draw at load in crysis 3 and metro LL at ~470 watts. running things like 3d mark or valley it's lower, in the low 400's and playing GW2 it's around 350 watts. the VSM 750 is good, probably not the best value or fit for this build, but it's the least of your concerns in that part list.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube