add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
TheNoob

53 months ago

Hey guys.

If PCPP says my build will use about 280 watts does that mean a 500-550w will pull 500w but only 280w will be used? Will the left over 220watts be wasted? Or will it just pull what the PC needs (280w)?

I will overclock and add a CPU Cooler in the future, add LED fans to the case, and I will probably upgrade to a R9 280/380 if the R7 260x/360 doesn't satisfy so that's why I am getting a 500-550w PSU.

If that PSU is **** then here are some other PSUs:

XFX 550w Gold

XFX 550w Bronze

If those are also **** (Or to OP) then please recommend.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $76.98 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $77.98 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $44.49 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card $84.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ B&H
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $48.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $15.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $99.00 @ Adorama
Monitor Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor $159.00 @ B&H
Other Old Keyboard From Previous PC Purchased
Other Old Mouse From Previous PC Purchased
Other HGST Deskstar HDS721010CLA632 From Previous PC Purchased
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $694.40
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $664.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-14
02:11 EDT-0400 )

Btw How accurate is PCPP with the estimated wattage?

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I just take the wattage and add 50-100 watts. For that build, the Antec 430D or BP550W should be good. The ones you listed are great too. Don't get the EVGA one though, it sucks alot of donkey.

EDIT: Oh, and if your going with an mATX motherboard, get yourself an mATX case. The Coolermaster N200 is high quality (for the price), affordable, and reliable. Although, if you don't mind spending the extra money, the Fractal Design Define Mini is really good, and it has noise dampening foam.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I only went with the Corsair Spec 02 Mid tower case and mATX Motherboard because that case looks so damn awesome and has many good reviews. And I have alot of room for it. So space isn't an issue.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

While looks are totally preference, it does have good reviews. The window also seems a bit to dim for me. Also, it really matters how much your willing to pay for looks. I would pay that much, but I would also look for alternatives at that price point. I don't like putting mATX or smaller into an ATX case because it ends up looking empty. The case is something I'll leave up to you, but if you have other questions you can tell me.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

This case is on the very edge of what I'm willing to pay for a aesthetics. I like the window. It's pretty hard looking for good looking cases at this price and below...

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I like the Spec 03 a bit better than the Spec 02. Slightly more high quality and while I don't like the aesthetics of the Spec series, the Spec 03 is the most attractive looking one to me.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I love the looks of the Spec Series. I do agree that the Spec 3 looks the best. Too bad it's usually more expensive.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

the psu is not crap really, but the xfx units are better, and that gold one is pretty nice.

And for your question, the PSU only pulls what it needs... so its not wasting any big amounts... this is where the efficiency rating comes in though. it will pull a small percentage more from the wall than what the system needs at the moment because some is lost durring ac/dc conversion. So the higher efficiency will cost less on your power bill. also, they are more efficient neer the middle of their rated wattage, so its always better to go a bit bigger than a bit smaller than you need. 550-600w is ideal for what your doing here with the possible gpu upgrade later, so those xfx units are great.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

these are also great ones... both gold rated, and both highly rated by reviewers... the rosewill is cheaper and full modular and the seasonic is semi modular and one of the all time highest scoring units on some review sites.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-power-supply-photon550

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr550rm

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll check them out! Thanks!

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

go with one of the xfx units in your OP.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

the few photon units with competent reviews are shown to be shoddy, perform terribly when heated, or downright awful. the pci-e and cpu power slots have compatible connectors but aren't electrically compatible so some users can boot and burn. this series shouldn't be recommended.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rosewill-photon-1200-power-supply,4236.html http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=405

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

ya, i just skipped to the end and read the conclusion http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=405 earlier before recomending. He only took 1 point on performance, so it didnt seem to be a big issue. most points were lost it seemed due to dumb reasons in the Value category and the pcb issue mentioned which lost some major pointage, but could easily be a fluke.

That seasonic is definitely a valid recomend though.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube