add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Close to final build, need efficient psu

Mydragonsfly

53 months ago

Working on this build right now, looking for something that has enough connections for the components and is at least a gold psu and will supply the build with plenty of power and overhead for eventual oc'ing. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vPYkBm

As you can see the list already features a psu that I was recommended, but I just want to get an opinion from a wider audience.

Just about to go to work so I kind of threw this topic together. Spotted this PSU in someone else's build and wonder if it would be fine in my build. Not in depth or anything but it's fully modular, gold rated, 8 6+2 connectors which would be seven more than my pick I got in my list. If this isn't good for my build and has too much wattage or the like, please suggest something else. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220gs0850v1

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

EVGA GS 850 is a well rated Power Supply that would work great with your build..

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

lose the AS5 paste. if you're staying single gpu go with the 550 or 650 G2. otherwise, the 850 GS is fine. it does have too many pci-e connectors due to the daisy chained cables. a proper 850 watt only needs 6 and this one has ten in all. not very noob friendly.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe you want to 4-way SLI a bunch of low end cards? Idk lol

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess in a mining or folding rig that makes sense.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Who knows if I'll add an additional gpu(s) in the future, I guess the extra is there for if I ever need it. As for the pcie connectors, shouldn't hurt to have a few extra.

Not noob friendly? I'm a perseverer and always seem to find a way, if not then you guys will just find me right back on the forums again.

As for the thermal paste, why drop it? Almost 5 stars after 287 ratings. Should I pick a different paste instead?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

AS5 is electrically conductive and has a 200 hour curing tome. There are many thermal solutions out that not only perform better, but don't have these downsides. Looking at reviews the bulk of which are 5+ years old, plenty of better things have come out since.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

That thermal paste isn't good, don't buy it and why not skylake? The Evga 850 watt GS is a very good psu and would work well for your build.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

As I replied to a previous commenter, why isn't this thermal paste any good?

As for skylake, up until last week I haven't even heard of it. Still trying to figure out the whole thing but haven't gotten much on it just yet.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

As I replied to a previous commenter, why isn't this thermal paste any good?

It has mediocre performance and a 200 hour curing time, I really need to write something about this so I can just link to it instead of explaining it every time.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-performance-benchmark,3616-19.html

haven't gotten much on it just yet.

Its intel new and current platform that is improved compared to Haswell Refresh, I can't recommend buying a older socket when you can afford not to.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

After searching "skylake" in the cpu section I came across a small handful of intel products, none of which are compatible with my current build. Based on that search, is that all the skylake cpus that are out there?

New paste, yay.. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/arctic-cooling-thermal-paste-acmx4

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

none of which are compatible with my current build.

The reason why is because they are on a new socket, 1151 vs 1150 and most of the motherboard uses DDR4 ram.

New paste, yay.. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/arctic-cooling-thermal-paste-acmx4

That is decent, I'm actually ordering some of that myself, mainly because of how much you are getting for its price, and I'm doing two builds , if it wasn't for that I would just get some gelid and might screw up like I did last time with installing my cpu cooler.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright well if its going to be a skylake build which, why not, it's only 100 more for a better psu, mb, and cpu in the end so if it would last me a little longer then that is definitely worth it.

Looks like this is what the build is turning out to be. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gjcJ4D

• 53 months ago
  • 0 points

Change the case to maybe In Win 805. Get rid of cables for your Samsung 2.5" SSD by getting the m.2 version (almost the same price so it won't cost you more). Hold off buying a wireless AC adaptor unless you can't get a wired connection. Get rid of fan controller - less mess with wires (minimalistic approach actually works). You really can't game good with that Logitech wireless mouse. For few dollars more get the 390X Gaming version of your video card. Go platinum with your PSU (it's a cheap upgrade & makes no sense holding back with the choice of components you have). Overall, you got top components (CPU, GPU & motherboard). With the right case & proper cable management, even if you're not going to fully water cool your build it will still look stelllar.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Case was decided on before I went through so many revisions, thanks for what does seem like a gorgeous suggestion but I'll pass.
  • As for the SSD, it's already purchased and arrived yesterday.
  • While I do have an ethernet cable that can just barely reach my tower, running that cable in the current house environment is neither feasible, nor safe. I'm trying to phase these out of my life as much as can do.
  • Fan controler right now is on the sidelines and not set in stone entirely, if I don't exactly like controlling it through the software that will come with the MB then it will get added in. As for the wires, I'll cross that bridge when the time comes but for now it shouldn't be much of a problem.
  • Wireless mouse is also in a state of limbo like the fan controler since I'm doing just fine with my current mouse.
  • I'll look into the 390x, thanks for the suggestion.
  • PSU, was purchased last night and already got processed so unless I'd like to return it, pay the restocking fee and reorder... I think I'll keep the gold, it's enough of an upgrade from bronze as it is for me, I'll keep it in the favorites list for future updates! :D

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube