add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will I have enough power to run this setup?

thardlol

53 months ago

I've got everything ordered and expecting to have everything at the house tomorrow to build the thing, but I'm a little concerned I wont have enough of a PSU to support everything. Let me know what you think.

Edit, also not sure if it matters but I got the 4GB version of the video card that is listed since I couldn't find it on the part picker.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $229.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $67.50 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $136.98 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $44.49 @ Amazon
Storage OCZ Trion 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $74.00 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $47.78 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 380 2GB Video Card $184.98 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case $84.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ NCIX US
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $975.70
Mail-in rebates -$35.00
Total $940.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-08 10:35 EDT-0400

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

yes. during gaming loads you will have a minimum of 200 watts headroom with this build. looking at this list I wish you'e have posted a topic about this build before ordering. you've got some really sub optimal choices in this build.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Just to clarify, you mean I will have enough power, right?

Which parts would you replace and with what? I'm curious.

Thanks for the reply.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

yes, the psu you got can almost run exactly two of these builds at typical load. well, it literally can for some short periods. as for the parts, if those are things you just ordered and you paid those prices or close to, I'd have made most of the choices differently.

• the cpu cooler is first. the H60 is a low performance/price cooler and you could have gotten better raw performance and lower noise levels in a less expensive air cooler.

• even with Z170 out Z97 is a good enough bang for buck, however, the motherboard you chose has strictly Z87 era features, I don't even know why MSI released it with the Z97 pch on it. it has no M.2, usb 3.1 etc. it's got a short lived and useless msata port. the same price the Z97 gaming 5 or even the Z97A Krait are better choices and you don't even have to choose a different brand or chipset.

• that SSD is really slow compared to similar priced ones like the crucial BX100 andSSD370.

• unless you ordered the R4 for $85 at ncix, that was not an optimal choice either as the R5, among some other cases, can be had at the same price.

• the components in your build from the cpu to the SSD add up to $553.50. these are coming in at $548.95: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TsLGTW

similar cooling performance with less noise, slightly faster cpu performance, much faster SSD and a motherboard with newer features and much better connectivity.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your detailed response!

I have to admit I sort of got the mobo due to it matching the video card, but also that it seemed to cover all the bases as far as what I was wanting on my machine.

I can always upgrade things in the future, if/when my situation changes. I have never owned a SSD system before so I'm sure the experience will be plenty fast for me considering I have already ordered all the stuff.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

yes, the system will be quite fast. enjoy the new pc. :)

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I will, thanks again.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

Personally I would go for a 600W but 550W will do you just fine. You shouldn't experience any power problems.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, thanks for the reply.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube