add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Psu makers are lagging ?

Keithie

53 months ago

Better late than never my plug into the wall power meter turned up ..

On full CPU fan and case fan speed (2.5k & 1.1k rpm) power taken by overall system :

• Base g3258 speed (3.2ghz) & idle : 32-34W
  • Base speed (3.2ghz) & full load (prime95) : 60-62W
  • Max comfy OC (4.2ghz, 1.325v) & idle : 42-43W
  • Max comfy OC (4.2ghz) & full load (prime95) : 90-92W (cores at 65-70deg according to speedfan)

gpu essentially doing very little (TDP 60W)

(Using Gpu moderately (skyrim gaming) with OC 4.2 but not full load (CPU or Gpu) shifts power draw on plug side to 110-125W)

Obviously these are the amounts the psu is drawing so the amount the machine is taking (pre psu efficiency factor) is ok vs 300w psu

So ... the reality here is that I'm using less than 200w at all times for a not too shabby gaming machine. I7 4790k won't push it up more than 50w in reality, 6700k less so

Skylake is taking size & power down..presumably cannonlake further ?

Power costs are going up

Why do I want a 500W+ for a gaming machine ... Realistically I don't ...

So how many tier1 smallish sized gold/plat (300-400w less than 140x140x90) are there that get 9-10/10 from Jonnyguru ?

Seems like not so many yet ... Is that me missing the obvious or are the psu makers just playing catch-up ? Hope so!!

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

so you plan on buying a 300 watts psu because you are not using a GPU, but integrated graphics?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Erm? No ..I've got a bronze sfx 300w psu (silverstone) and a 750ti OC gpu (Asus)...but would like a better quality psu In small physical and lower wattage size.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Vz98gs

Not sure I understand your question ?

My question is whether modern, efficient CPU/Gpu is being catered for by psu makers...seems like they still love high power based on the product offerings !

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

they have to market to the masses and the masses feel safe with bigger numbers and higher efficiency. nevermind the fact that efficiency is pretty low when you use a 500+ watt psu for a 300-watt-at-load computer. the other side to this is production cost. it isn't viable to make high quality, highly efficient psus with really low wattage as they would have to sell at the same price or higher than perectly good 500-650 watt psus. just look at the seasonic 460 watt fanless units that cost about the same as their high end 650-750 watt gold offerings.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

it isn't viable to make high quality, highly efficient psus with really low wattage as they would have to sell at the same price or higher than perectly good 500-650 watt psus.

exactly....

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree ... I guess If evga are ok with charging £70 for the very impressive G2 550w then maybe they could do a 300-350w for a similar price (or even just slightly less).

Maybe the practical cost savings on actual medium/long term incremental power utlisation (due to differential efficiency) are still too low (UK cost of 15-20p per kWH) that the benefit is too marginal..but I'm not convinced now ...but 10 years hence power costs will probably double ...

(If today's efficiency losses are say 15-20%.. Then between 550W and 350w that's 30-40w, over 24 hours is 0.75-1kwh or 12-20pence per day ...£40-£70 per year...and I have 4 machines now ...)

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

^ I astonish myself how stupid I am sometimes ...lol...the efficiency only applies to the power drawn so what I wrote there is rubbish...lol!

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

exactly as pureblackfire commented.... but your problem is that your case uses the SFX psu.... That really limits your options. I'm using the Silverstone SFX 450 gold, the only reason I bought this one is because I needed a small psu and wanted a good one.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly so ... but the whole quality and running cost thing vaguely annoys me .. Over a 10 year psu life it seems like several hundred £ per machine wasted onrunningcost vs a good quality lower power psu ..quite aside from any stability issues :(

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

sfx psu are very limited right now and honestly with what I paid for the psu, I could have gotten a better one :( But on the other side I'm very happy with it! :)

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm just moaning coz I've now realised how much unnecessary cash I'm paying out over time for higher power psu than I really need ....lol..wish I hadn't bought that killa-watt meter !! ...tho to be fair it's made it very clear how much running machines costs and how I can save cash :)

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you arguing under the assumption that a larger psu uses more power just because it's larger? You do realize they work on demand, don't need 1kw, then you don't use 1kw.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I know :) .. I mentioned that (above) a couple of days ago

I've moved the discussion elsewhere now as there are multiple issues (including, but not limited to, manufacturer compatibility, physical size, stability and durability, warranties, reseller liability etc etc) .. thanks though :)

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, sorry, I missed that part due to the way the forums order posts. I hate that newer replies get stuck in the middle of old ones. Also makes it a bit confusing because it makes it look like you're arguing with yourself. :-P

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol...yeah ...well, if no-one else will argue with me then I can only argue with myself ;)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube