add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Comments (Continued)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Now it stopped making noise

I have the same problem...sometimes, with my Thermaltake PSU.

I know that the fan is the culprit, so i wait until the noise stops. lol

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I have to get right next to it to hear it, right now its sideways so the psu is not aimed at the wall. It is certainly the fan and now it is quiet lol. Oh well I have to move it and load stuff on it and play with OC stuff, it will be a while before I can run a game on it. Have other projects to get on as well. If anyone does mess with a psu be very careful they will zap you if you touch stuff in there like the heat sinks, and yes after they are unplugged. Someone crafty should be able to replace a fan, unless its some strange item, but don't say you were not warned about the capacitor charge inside.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

...but don't say you were not warned about the capacitor charge inside.

I know. Nevertheless i will let the PSU to rest for about 30 min.

Should be more than enough for a low wattage PSU.

Or i will disconnect the PSU from the wall outlet, and hit the power button a couple of times to drain the PSU that way.

As far I'm concerned the most 120m fans are either 3 or 4 pin ones.

So, i must connect the black to the black wire, the red to red wire and isolate the yellow one.

Or i will just buy an adapter for making the connection much easier.

If i have time i may attempt to do that. Shouldn't be a big deal. :)

• Note: I already took my PSU apart a couple months ago and "cleaned "it up properly.
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Good idea to drain it, but I did that it still buzzed me a little. Can give you a jump if not expecting it.

I would probably peel the cover off carefully and inspect, find out what type fan it is and how its mounted, look for anything non standard, is it plugged in or soldered, etc. It could be 120v fan but most all variable speed are not. But it might not be a typical PC fan you never know, and for cost of a new PSU an expensive fan may not be worth buying for an old psu. I bought a hyper 612 cooler and its huge but the fan is slow and quiet. I thought hey I can put a faster fan on it if needed, looked at a vardar and they are $26 each. I only paid 45 for the whole cooler, not really worth it. It might cool fine and I never need it I was just looking.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

is it plugged in...

Yes fortunately it has a 2 pin connector, otherwise i would forced to buy a soldering kit (Soldering Iron and solder). lol

But most probably i wouldn't solder it, not because i can't, but because i have nose problems with fumes. :-P

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Should be good long as new fan is same voltage and near same rpm. You can use small wire nuts, if you get them on good they will stay and not short on anything or tape around them if needed. Use the old plug on new fan.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube