add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Comments (Continued)

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

So just having the necessary ports and none other are the only good protection? What about DoS / DDoS attacks? I've heard you could easily pay 5 bucks for a gigabit attack against someone.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

That goes for what I said about what type of people know about this server? Do you think that somebody would do that? How important is this server? If somebody DDoS'd you, it's not like you're running a fortune 500 company, you're not going to lose money each second it's down..

And forwarding ports is a good start to security.. It's not the only good protection.. If that were the case, everybody would have a bulletproof network and you wouldn't hear about hacks on a daily basis..

Just answer me this, what game server is it and how many people use it?

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

The public knows about it and can connect to it. Virtually anyone can play it.

I think with my reputation in the community for the game, a lot of people would like to do such a thing.

To me personally it is important that the server has an uptime of as high as possible.

I didn't know forwarding ports helped with security? What...? I thought forwarding ports put the network at risk for people sending packets over said port.

I run servers for Minecraft, Unturned, and in the future other games like Rust, and Mount and Blade Bannerlord. I also run a MySQL server for certain things on my servers (which, I have ports forwarded for, because my friend runs servers with me and he needs to be able to send and recieve info from said MySQL)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube