add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Comments (Continued)

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand your point of view - you expressed similar dismay in the blog post.

It's ok with me. I'm ok with it. It's going to help me improve this site.

This is the sort of thing I do have to do quite a bit more often these days, even before this contest. Voting collusion got people banned before, and we built out tools to help identify when it was happening. There's a kind of compromise though - I only wanted to spend enough time on that tooling to catch the obvious ones. i.e. it didn't make sense to spend 20 hours writing really comprehensive tools to catch one or two more people, when they'll likely out themselves in time anyway.

This contest brought a lot of dishonest people out of the woodwork. Now the incentive isn't just personal pride but actual hardware. It's been pretty amazing really. I mean, I knew there would be attempts at vote fraud, but the scale of it so far has been pretty impressive. If anything, the large corpus of data from this contest has shown us a few more vectors people are using for vote collusion. And that in turn has let us improve our tooling more. So it's a silver lining - subsequent contests probably won't use this approach, but in the meantime we're able to use the fake vote attempts to better prevent vote collusion across the entire site from here on out.

[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 3 points

Comment voting is going to get addressed. Yeah, there have been people who have gone on downvote rampages against other people, and it's pretty easy for us to identify those. We're going to fix that. I'm honestly spread a little thin right now handling other tasks (like the NZXT live stream, onboarding two new employees, migration to AWS, and some other yet-to-be-seen stuff). There's also some long-standing usability issues I really want to address, like comment nesting continuations, ability to find new comments posted on a thread easily, etc.

Comment voting I don't think is as clear-cut as what we call "root object" voting (guides, completed builds, etc.) It's perfectly valid for someone to vote on every comment in a topic if they want to. They could downvote once, or half the comments in a thread, etc. Both could have valid scenarios. So in the middle it gets into a gray area where you ask if the voting is abuse or just prolific voting. And if it's abuse, what to do? Do you limit downvotes? I have my reservations on that.

Instead I think what's likely to happen is that only a certain number of downvotes will affect a user's overall karma score. So even if user A downvotes user B comments 1,000 times, maybe it only drops their karma by 5. Possibly likewise on the upvotes. In that situation, your karma is better reflected by the feedback on your comments from a wider range of people than just a few prolific voters. (This would also dramatically cut back on people creating a few alt accounts to mass upvote/downvote things. They'd have to do that across many more accounts to get the same effect, making it easier to identify.)

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

onboarding two new employees

Looking for interns? :P I make a mean caramel macchiato.

[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

but I'm really curious as to what people would have against myself, Jipster69, Xorex64 and others

you guys are super active and hold opinions, that alone makes you targets, but you also all post a lot of off topic stuff, which is where trolls dwell. Its the nature of the Off Topic areas man, been that way for decades in forums everywhere lol.

(and im not the one doing it btw, its just obvious why your all seeing it so much)

with the ON topic stuff, theres always unexplained votes, but usually comments made after the post that's getting voted will show a general idea WHY its voted up or down

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

What if you polity ask already long-time members (who are in your profile friends list) to upvote you. Would that imoly the same thing?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube