"I’m not the protagonist of a novel or anything…I’m a college student who likes to read, like you could find anywhere. But… if, for argument’s sake, you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be… a tragedy." ~ Kaneki Ken
UPDATE 9/2/15: Added CPU cooler
Hello folks, here's my completed build for my first PC. I based my build on my favorite anime, Tokyo Ghoul. Since I'm a poor a** college student, my budget was limited but nonetheless I squeezed it to the brink of my bank account. It was a fun and stressful time building this PC as well as my brothers, but overall it was pretty easy.
- Kaneki Ken - Part Selections
- CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 - Picked it because I need an i7 for 3D modeling/rendering in Maya and Adobe Programs in CC. DIDN'T go for a i7-4790K because I don't plan on overclocking + I'm poor already, don't judge xD Reason why I kept the CPU fan as well
- MOBO: The MOBO was on sale and looks really sick when on (glowing red LEDs). I WAS gonna go for a Z97 board and do SLI in the future, but once again, budget reasons.
- Memory: Cheap RAM and matches color scheme that I was going for.
- Storage: Samsung SSD's have never failed me and by far the best SSD's I've ever used (I've had 3 in laptops). Was debating between WD Black or a WD Blue, went with the WD Blue because it has the same basic performance and it was cheaper.
- Video Card: IS THIS NOT THE SEXIEST GRAPHICS CARD YOU'VE EVER SEEN!?!? It matched my case perfectly and was cheaper than most GTX970s (Strix included), but the newest in Asus's line of cards.
- Case: The case is really modern looking and it was an easy case to handle for a beginner like myself. It has excellent cooling and the cleanest cable management layout. The stock fans are actually really great so I didn't need to buy a lot of extra fans. I was trying to go for a white, black, and red build in semblance to Kaneki (Black hair, White Hair, and Kagune).
- PSU: I was either gonna go with Corsair, EVGA, or Antec. I stuck on Antec because it was the cheapest Platinum Grade PSU I could find with all positive reviews on all the sites I visited.
- Monitor: Needed a decent display for Photoshop and rendering so this was the cheapest IPS Monitor I could fnd with positive reviews. It looks very nice as well on the desk with its extremely small bezel.
- Keyboard: I'm a Corsair fan and have a couple of their amazing mice, so why not their keyboard too? It also matched the color scheme for what I was going for.
- Case Fans: Corsair LED fans for lighting up the inside of the case. Silent fans and highly reliable in quality.
In Asus, we trust. Awesome board with almost everything you need. Has a red awesome led circuit on board to make it aesthetically pleasing. No Nvidia SLI, but supports Crossfire for AMD cards.
Nicest looking card I've ever seen! Performs phenomenal and stays really cool during idle and during gameplay. It will destroy all modern games at 1080p max settings and can even take 2K gaming. The card fits in with all white color scheme cases,
Best case for beginner PC builders. Comes with 4 NZXT fans which are better than stock fans in most cases. The case is really quiet and has one of the best cable management.
Most budget friendly Platinum grade PSU you could find. Saves your electric bill and is reliable being an Antec.
Fantastic IPS monitor with a price and look that can't be beat. The almost non existent bezel makes any table look modern. Only issue was the buttons on the back instead of the sides.